Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to prevent back sleeping
How to prevent back sleeping
I made a habit of going to sleep on my left side.
Often I wake up on my back.
I know to get on my back I roll backward on my left shoulder (otherwise the BiPAP tube would get under my neck).

So now I am looking for ideas to prevent the turning.

Just a pillow on my back does not work. It looks like I push it when I turn.
There are wedge cushions out there but I don't think they would work for me.

I found a  Side-Sleeping Backpack on Amazon that is expensive to try out.

My last idea is to somehow tie down my right wrist.
I will try it tonight.

Anyone with some idea on how to prevent turning onto the back in bed?

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to prevent back sleeping
DanEm;
     The old fashion way is to take an old T-shirt and sew a tennis ball into the middle of the back with a patch ..
     The thought was to wake You when You rolled over on to it ..
     Never tried it but I have been told it does work ..
     Good Luck finding something that works for You ..  
                           Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you sauerkraut, I forgot to mention that technique.  I did try it.  Probably 50 years ago Laugh-a-lot

It did not work for me !!! I just rolled onto the ball and it did not wake me.
I was young then.  I will try my wrist tying first and if it does not work, I will try the tennis ball.

Sleep-well Dan

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
DanEm;
     How about sewing a wedge with the thick side up .. When You do try to roll onto You back it stops You ..
Having it attached to a T-shirt will keep it from sliding away ..  Or try a ball that is larger or harder ..  Like a  
regulation soft ball .. Maybe the tennis ball wasn't uncomfortable enough ..
   Best of Luck ..     Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I rolled up a small towel and put it inside one of those canvas bags that you wear on your back. Works great for me, and since I had them lying around it didn't cost me anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using a backpack will be my next try

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
After many failed approaches, the linked post links to an image of a knap sack arrangement that worked for me for many months until I tried a half inch higher (4-inch) c-collar which was sufficient. I quit using the pictured block without increasing flow limits or OA.

How to stop rolling onto my back? | Apnea Board - an earlier post

Off topic, updating notes for any reader looking at the pictured but extraneous mouth sealing scheme: 

The image depicts earlier usage than now. Now the tan elastic retainer for the sealer strip is simply folded once, lengthwise, merely doubling the retainer thickness over my mouth and a strip across my lower face area, not covering my chin as shown in the side shot. 

Over time and wearing a beard now, I've found it necessary to seal my lips better to control leaks and dry mouth. I have been using 1"x4" 3M Micropore tape folded lengthwise. The folded edge is pushed in to just touch my front teeth between cracked-open, taut lips. 

Then the tape is smoothed tight to both lips, to corners of mouth and slightly beyond. Then I put on the gel strip and retainer as I did before recently beginning to use tape.

One learns: to remove some facial hair at lip extremities (for tape bonding there); to be careful removing tape from facial hair.

The mouth sealing scheme allows me to use the nasal pillow masks, Resmed P10 and Brevida.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
You mentioned that you tried using a pillow at your back and that failed. The first time I tried using a pillow at my back it also failed because I was using a polyester-filled pillow that was lightweight. I found a HEAVY feather pillow and it works perfectly for me. I found it at Costco a couple of years ago. It was not a quality pillow…just a cheap but heavy pillow. Because it is feathers I can reach back and pull it up close and tucked tightly against my back. The weight of the pillow keeps it snug against me.
I wish you luck in finding the right device to keep you on your side. Even using PAP therapy my apneas were at 30 until I started sleeping on my side. Now I am around 1 an hour nightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate your inputs.

The main reason I was looking for ways to prevent supine sleep is the behaviour of my FL results.
But last night, with the backpack method, I have definite proof I did not sleep on my back.

My FL results are not comprehensible to me.
I cannot relate FL with supine sleep.
With side sleep, I have both low and high FL.

I also use a cervical collar and a MAD. Both have been efficient to reduce my AHI.

So, I cannot relate FL with sleep position.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
3M makes two tapes, both blue in colour, with one called 'strong hold' and the other is more of a paper product with the descriptor, "sensitive skin tape". Both work quite well with the former able to be used on at least three successive nights.  The key to both, and I have proven this time after time, is having a freshly scrubbed (with soap and water) mouth area before applying the tape.

Then, next morning, take about 45 seconds (yeah, it's a bit much, but hear me out...) to sssllllooooooooowwly peel off the tape.  The idea is that the adhesive will let go of your skin, but not of the ribbon itself.  Gently wrap the tape around the spool onto the fresh tape. It won't alter the fresh tape's adhesive/clean layer below it, but it will allow you to use it at least one more time...both types of tape.  This keeps the cost down if penny-pinching (seniors) is a concern.

Sorry to introduce an off-topic post and subject, but it has been alluded to, and maybe it will help just one reader in the future.

BTW, there is one surefire way to prevent back-sleeping. You fall asleep on your side, but with your butt and back right on the edge of the mattress.  Believe me, you'll only try to turn onto your back once.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 1 7 1 minute ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How to prevent rainout? Dariex 6 178 04-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 203 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,410 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.