Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket?
How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket?
Okay, I'll try to keep this short and to the point ...

I'm temporarily in an apt in south florida, where it's muggy AF. There's a little evidence of mold/mildew here. I don't think I'm gonna die from mold exposure, but I am concerned about mold growing on my cpap equipment!

I received my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto bipap machine here. I have a brand new hose and tank. I want to start using this tonight, at least while I watch tv. That would be a big deal for me.

I also don't really want to use the hose and tank without cleaning them first, for fear of microplastic residue going into my lungs. I ordered a Hurricane dryer, but it won't be here for a week.

Let's say I wash all the stuff right now in a bucket with water/dawn/ vinegar. Then the hose and tank will be wet.

A) The wet hose: I know people air dry their hose by hanging it over something for a day. I'm not entirely sure why they would do that instead of just blowing air from the cpap through it?

Let's say I just swing the hose around my head, then blow air through it with the cpap and then start using it. Is there some risk in that? If there are a few droplets left, it's just water I'm gonna breathe in, right? No real risk?

B) The wet tank: Obviously it doesn't matter if the tank is wet inside. but what about the outside? Can i dry that with a towel, or is that potentially introducing fibers that could then get sucked down into my lungs? Maybe I should blow it with a hair dryer?

Thx for any help!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket?
A) Right, no problem with a few drops of water in the hose. I don't worry about it myself (actually, I almost never clean the hose, so the issue doesn't arise.) If there is enough water in the hose so that it forms a puddle, then that's too much and it will make noise.

B) I would just use a towel to dry the exterior of the tank. There's no air flow around the outside of the tank, so you won't breath anything from there. You want the outside of the tank dry so it doesn't slip in your hands as you are putting it back in the machine, and so you don't put any water from the outside of the tank into the CPAP machine.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Thanks so much for the quick response. I might be overthinking this because I dread using this thing. I didn't do well with cpap (partly due to aerophagia) and now I have this aurobipap I know I have to use.

I have two more questions, if you don't mind.

1) I had the job of cleaning out this apartment. When I took cables from behind the tv, they were super sticky. Same with shelves in the pantry as well as the tv remotes. I guess this is something that happens with the crazy humidity.

So, I'm wondering if I should stick the BIPAP in a plastic bag or something during the day ... but then I got worried thinking maybe the machine is meant to sort of residually dry not in use ... in which case putting it in a plastic bag might make things worse. Any thoughts on that?

2) It's a ResMed aircurve 10 VAuto bipap. I rented it (with my doc's permission and a prescription). Now I need to coordinate with my doc so he can monitor treatment and adjust pressure. I'm going to message him tomorrow, but suspect it might take a while to get his attention.

But, as I mentioned, I'm really eager to at least start using it while watching tv! Does this thing come set on some sort of Auto setting that will make it safe for me to use that way? I know you can do this with an APAP, but I don't really understand the whole Auto Bipap thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
1) I wouldn't put the machine in a plastic bag during the day. That will confine any humidity to the machine and won' do it any good. Yes, the machine will dry itself out.

2) The VAuto is an excellent Bipap machine and is what I use. Setup is very similar to an Autoset. In it's normal settings, the difference between the AutoSet and the VAuto is that you can set a higher, and more precise, pressure relief setting with the VAuto. You can think of it as an Autoset with extended EPR settings (known as pressure relief in bipap terminology). The VAuto has other adjustments that can be made, but usually they are used only when experience indicates they are needed.

What settings did you have on the APAP machine you used before? You can try those same settings except set pressure relief to 4, which is greater than the Autoset maximum EPR setting of 3. Do you have a prescription setting from your doctor? Or have you had a sleep study? If so, just post the sleep study detail report here and someone may be able to advise you on initial settings.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're going to be there a while I would suggest a room dehumidifier, even if only for your bedroom. 
You're right that you likely won't die from mold/mildew but high humidity makes breathing more difficult.

If the aerophagia happens often, post your OSCAR data and one of the experts can help adjust settings to try to make it better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Super helpful. Thank you!

It's been a while since I used (and failed) my APAP. So I didn't even think about the fact that this new BIPAP came already set to the settings prescribed by my doc (based on my most recent sleep study):

Mode VAuto
MAX IPAP 25.0
MAX EPAP 4.0
PS 4.0
Ti Max 2.0s
Ti Min 0.3s
Trigger Med
Cycle Med

If there's anything else I should know, please let me know! I'm going to wash the equipment here shortly and then try to get started at least watching tv with the machine on tonight. Baby steps.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you say you have had a sleep study, please post the results of that study here (with personal info redacted). That will provide some guidance on figuring out your settings.

Those seem to be factory default settings, which probably fit no one.

Try starting with Min EPAP of 6, max IPAP of 20, PS 4. After first night, import data into OSCAR, take a screenshot of daily page (see link to directions below), then post here for advice.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used Camelbak products for 30 years and found a great way of drying the hoses when I don't have compressed air nearby. After washing the hydration hose, I spin it in a circle like a lasso. Then grasp the other end and do the same. Centripetal force causes the water droplets away from the axis- your hand.

I don't spin my PAP hose very hard or fast but it does the same thing. Wipe the ends where the drops accumulate and hang it.

Your sticky cables, shelves and remote are likely due to cooking grease. Without a massively powerful fan, tiny droplets of grease get everywhere, anytime you cook. If the cook is not diligent about cleaning after every meal, the grease will build up. That why I always recommend against a cooktop in an island. One batch of delicious fried chicken makes an enormous mess.

I am a home inspector and see it often in rental properties since they tend to lack pride of ownership.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in muggy Florida. I never have had an issue with mold or build up of yuck due to humidity. Over 25 years, 4 different machines and all I ever do is wash my P10 pillows with soap and water every week. Never washed a hose. Rinse and clean the reservoir about once a month. No issues whatsoever. The only problem was working out humidity settings with each new machine to stop rainout. You are over thinking it. I use plain dish soap. Never Dawn. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally figured out I was overthinking it! I think I'm just scared. Thank you for the reply. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,554 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.