Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New bipap user help with knowing what all the settings mean?
New bipap user help with knowing what all the settings mean?
Hi so I have UARS, very unhelpful doctors. I plan on downloading Oscar but I need your guys help to teach me how to use bipap to reflect the best conditions possible for me.

Can someone please explain EPAP, PS, Bi flex settings (going from 1,2 or 3). EPS settings, and then possibly explaining how that affects flow limitations?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New bipap user help with knowing what all the settings mean?
please explain EPAP, PS, Bi flex settings (going from 1,2 or 3). EPS settings, and then possibly explaining how that affects flow limitations?

You have min pressure 
You have a Ps
and you have a max

So with this setting min 6 ps 5 max 20

Your inhale pressure is 11 (min+ps)
Your exhale pressure is 6 (min)
The highest the machine will go up to stop apnea is 20 Max.

EPR (exhale Pressure relief) is not used on a bipap it is used with the cpap autoset but is the same as PS only difference the only setting can be EPR 1,2 or 3.   But again you said you have a bipap.

Obstructive apnea is usually the upper pallet of the mouth.   Flow Limits are also apnea but it is the upper airway in the nose and head.  While the pressure used with the cpap or bipap work on the pallet the PS works on the flow limits keeping the upper airway open.

If we are talking about an autoset it is a little different.
with these setting
min7
EPR3
max 20

Your inhale would be 7(min)
Your exhale would be 4 (min7-EPR3)
max 20
I'm sure someone can give a better and more involved expalnation but I gave it a try. 
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New bipap user help with knowing what all the settings mean?
Zolty, some basic BiPAP titration principles are to use EPAP to control obstructive events, and a combination of EPAP increases and IPAP (pressure support) increases to control hypopnea and flow limitation. If you are using a Philips, the machine does not flag flow limitation in the same way as Resmed. EPAP is your exhale pressure is is the control for obstructive apnea. PS is the pressure on top of EPAP used to improve comfort and control flow limits, BiFlex is a comfort setting that affects the timing of trigger and cycle for IPAP//EPAP transitions. Philips BiPAP machine allow for a range of pressure and pressure support. Without knowing more about your therapy, it's kind of hard to guide you. You are using terms unique to both Philips and Resmed, and the machines are different. Exactly what model do you have?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 3 51 28 minutes ago
Last Post: ewriter
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 131 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 159 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 856 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 286 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 378 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 241 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.