Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to reduce AHI index?
RE: How to reduce AHI index?
(08-22-2017, 01:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Low pressure clearly result in obstructed breathing as we see from the use of ramp on 8/21 and the relatively low minimum pressure on 8/19.  My impression is that you need a minimum pressure of 9 maximum pressure 14 with whatever flex level you find comfortable.  I think there is a possibility that you experience some degree of positional obstruction, and either a pillow that supports your neck or a soft cervical collar could help with some of the events.  The central or clear apenea don't appear to be a serious problem, and are likely a matter of sleep disturbance and you just need time to adapt to CPAP.  

This is going to improve with time, but I think the higher minimum pressure on auto mode is going to help you get there faster.

Hi Sleeprider,

thanks a lot for your fast and detailed response.

Following your suggestions I had obtained great results today morning; the AHI index decreased to 1.35.
I used a T-shirt with a tennis ball on the back to sleep on the side and avoid potential positional obstruction.

Note: My doctor had suggested this T-shirt before starting with CPAP therapy, but I never used after that the CPAP therapy started.

22/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 9-14, AHI 1.35

[Image: ZbYJZxT.png]

Should I do anything else to further optimize the therapy?

Why the Auto CPAP can't decrease the AHI index without a positional tool (T-shirt, pillow etc)?

Thanks a lot for your support.
Post Reply Post Reply
oops wrong post
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Attanasio, those are great results and your problem seems to be fully resolved with the CPAP and positional therapy. We want you to be as comfortable as possible, so look for ways that you can effect a good sleeping position with maximum comfort. The soft cervical collar is a way for you to be able to sleep on your side or back and still maintain a clear airway. Give that a try and experiment with other ways you can comfortably avoid the airway obstruction...good job!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some time back, I posted my SleepyHead data, which showed AHI figures in the high 20's to mid 30's. The pressure at the time was set at 10-15. My sleep doc gradually raised the pressure to a range of 13-18 and my AHI's now run in the 2-3 range pretty consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 11:59 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Attanasio, those are great results and your problem seems to be fully resolved with the CPAP and positional therapy.   We want you to be as comfortable as possible, so look for ways that you can effect a good sleeping position with maximum comfort.  The soft cervical collar is a way for you to be able to sleep on your side or back and still maintain a clear airway.   Give that a try and experiment with other ways you can comfortably avoid the airway obstruction...good job!

Hi Sleeprider,

I'm continuing the therapy with quite good results in terms of AHI index.

Considering the following 2 screenshots (23/08, 24/08), could you explain why the AHI index is about the same although the obstructive apnea events are absent in the 24/08?

23/08

[Image: 0nq5rit.png]

24/08

[Image: vfO83PE.png]

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that puzzles me about your SH data. You've set your min IPAP to 9 yet your lowest reading is 5. This doesn't appear to make sense. From your graph you've got A-Flex set at about 2.5 so from my understanding the lowest EPAP reading you would get should be about 6.5 give or take and your IPAP should not go below 9. Maybe someone else on this forum can clear up the reasons for those figures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Attanasio89, API is OA+H+CA. You add all three to get your index number.

holden4th, He has his ramp pressure set at 4. It drifted down to 3.7 which isn't uncommon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Attanasio, as noted above you are using a relatively low ramp at the beginning of therapy. You may notice that based on the flow rate graph, you are working hard for air during that time as shown by the high amplitude flow rates during ramp. You might want to increase the ramp pressure or turn it off.

The AHI event rate is the sum of OA+CA+H, so the numbers are correct, but the distribution of events changes. I think things look great for now, however eventually you should trial a minimum pressure of 9.5. That small change might improve things just a bit. We will pull back to 9.0 if that is not the case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 02:26 AM)Attanasio89 Wrote: [quote pid='219783' dateline='1503425604']

I used a T-shirt with a tennis ball on the back to sleep on the side and avoid potential positional obstruction.

Note: My doctor had suggested this T-shirt before starting with CPAP therapy, but I never used after that the CPAP therapy started.

Should I do anything else to further optimize the therapy?

Why the Auto CPAP can't decrease the AHI index without a positional tool (T-shirt, pillow etc)?

Thanks a lot for your support.

[/quote]
Placing a pillow behind your back when laying on you side, will prevent you from laying flat on you back if you rollover during the night, and it won't wake you up like the tennis ball does.  Still giving you the benefit of sleeping on your side to reduce positional apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2017, 08:35 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Attanasio, as noted above you are using a relatively low ramp at the beginning of therapy.  You may notice that based on the flow rate graph, you are working hard for air during that time as shown by the high amplitude flow rates during ramp. You might want to increase the ramp pressure or turn it off.  

The AHI event rate is the sum of OA+CA+H, so the numbers are correct, but the distribution of events changes.  I think things look great for now, however eventually you should trial a minimum pressure of 9.5.  That small change might improve things just a bit.  We will pull back to 9.0 if that is not the case.

Thanks for the explanation. 
Tonight I will try with a minimum pressure of 9.5.
Could you suggest the ramp pressure I should use?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 16 443 36 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 390 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 348 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 231 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 912 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 472 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 627 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.