Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to scratch with a mask on!
How to scratch with a mask on!
OK just thought some might appreciate what I do. i think it might actually be my better half's idea!

Do you have to scratch once your headgear is on? If so are you pulling it off and putting your fingers underneath? Or actually just taking it off? (The is what my sleep dr recommended. Obviously he does;t wear one!)

I use a thin wooden tooth brush! It goes under my pillow in same place every time. I can reach it int he middle of the night. It gently slips under my mask (which is VERY tight) and allows me to reach anywhere under the mask in seconds. Whether I'm touching my nose, my lips, my face, may eyes, whatever voila it's the perfect scratch every time!!

[Image: pu70MAX.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to scratch with a mask on!
I just pop off one of the magnetic clips and leave mask partially on and scratch with a finger but I imagine it might be tougher for users that require higher pressure than I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
YES! I've only been using a machine for about a month but it seems like I'm fine until I put on the mask and then EVERYTHING on my face under the mask itches/tickles and I have to scratch.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can certainly see the virtue of a scratching stick although, being as clusmy as I am, I fear I might poke it in my eye. I just poke a finger under the mask.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2022, 07:15 PM)David Clark Wrote: YES! I've only been using a machine for about a month  but it seems like I'm fine until I put on the mask and then EVERYTHING on my face under the mask itches/tickles and I have to scratch.

That was exactly how I felt. It was as if as soon as I donned my mask, my face would scratch! Those sensations did diminish over time but took months to go away. Now it's only once or twice per week.

(01-31-2022, 02:31 AM)desaturator Wrote: I can certainly see the virtue of a scratching stick although, being as clusmy as I am, I fear I might poke it in my eye. I just poke a finger under the mask.

BW, DS

I have a really big nose, lol, and things are tight in there. What I have found is the tooth brush is the perfect implement. I can touch inside my nose, outside my nose, my skin, my eyebrow, just about anywhere with perfect touch.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not trying to derail your thread, but I'm curious why you'd put up with a "my mask (which is VERY tight)" situation? This indicates something about your mask isn't at all suited for you. I've used a Philips Amara View, ResMed F20, N30i, P30i, and F30i. All of which didn't fit well and required too tight straps. And the included pain. I switched to a Fisher and Paykel mask and it doesn't require too tight straps to work well. It doesn't matter what mask you choose, but it ought to be comfortable. And when it comes to masks, too tight ain't right.

Anyway your itch scratcher is an interesting trick.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey thanks for the question.

Well I did experiment and tried the F & P Simplus. The air escape was just too much. Is that what's worked for you??  I'm game for trying another!
Post Reply Post Reply
The F&P uses the air pressure to create the seal. Many users will overtighten the mask, which can cause excessive leaks. This is especially true if you try to tighten the upper straps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Briefly take off the hose (FFM) and scratch through the hole
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2022, 01:20 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The F&P uses the air pressure to create the seal.  Many users will overtighten the mask, which can cause excessive leaks.   This is especially true if you try to tighten the upper straps.

Thank you that's EXACTLY what I did.

(02-06-2022, 01:37 PM)Millstone50 Wrote: Briefly take off the hose (FFM) and scratch through the hole

I'm not sure what you mean let me look....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,308 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,869 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,111 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,445 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,880 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,587 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.