Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to select the right CPAP machine
How to select the right CPAP machine
Hi All,

I have just completed a sleeping test and proof suffering from OSAS. So I need a CPAP machine. I tried three APAP machines so far and all seeming work OK, but all behave differently on AHI, noise, comfort and price.

1. ResMed S9 AutoSet
2. Respironics PR System One 60 series CPAP Auto
3. DeVilbiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust DV54

For the ResMed S9 AutoSet - most Quiet, less comfort, AHI 1.8 - 2.5
For the Respironics 60 series CPAP Auto - most noise, best comfort, AHI 1.3 - 1.9
For the DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto Adjust - Quiet, comfort, AHI 2 - 5

So my question is that what machine should I choose?

The one with lowest AHI ? That is Respironics, but my wife don't like it as it is a bit noise compare to the others two.

The DeVilbiss seen to be a good one (cheapest), but it AHI is higher than the others two. Is that mean it is not working as good as the others two?

The ResMed S9 is most Quiet, but it use the higher pressure (average 10.5 the others two are around 7.5), so I feel less comfortable than the others two.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks you.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to select the right CPAP machine
Hi ispetera, welcome aboard
Different machines have different algorithm and respond to snoring, flow limitation and apnea differently
If I,m not mistaken, IntelliPAP AutoAdjust does not record airflow waveform data or event duration, does not differentiate between obstructive apnea and central sleep apnea, and don,t come with the heated hose option

Both S9 AutoSet and PRS1 Auto are popular among forum members, you cannot wrong with either
But my personal preference goes with the S9 AutoSet, not necessary better but just i like the way the S9 display/report data on the screen sleep report including unintentional leak while PRS1 report total leak

i,m hoping admin or mods after they had morning coffee, move this thread to the main forum so get the attention it deserve
Best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank for your information and quick reply zonk.

I more information I want to ask. Is the durability of the three machines I had tried ?
My saleman keep telling me that PRS1 Auto broken down more often than others.
I am not sure he is telling the true or just want me to buy the others CPAP machines.

You also mention move to the main forum for better attention. How to do that ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ispetera, welcome to Apnea Board!

I moved your thread to the Main Forum where it will receive a bit more attention.

I'll let others help to answer your questions, but in the mean time, you may wish to review Archangle's article on CPAP machine choices here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ispetera, welcome to the sleep nut world. And thanks for the confidence you are showing in us to help you select your machine.

I use the S9 Auto, and am very happy with it. But I have no direct experience with the others with which to compare it.

I would not use the AHI numbers as a decision point. All three machines are capable of controlling your apnea events. The numbers you have listed above look more like the normal ebb and flow you might expect from night to night regardless of what machine you're using. In any case, all three seem to be performing just fine for you. I suppose I'd give more weight to the S9 or the Respironics over the DeVilbiss just because --- well, just because.

The more critical aspect is your choice of mask. Whether you use a nasal, full-face, or pillows mask will take some research and some trial and error. Whatever mask you select, give it a fair hearing of a number of days for it to get used to you. Once it figures you out, almost any mask will function pretty well. If after a time you just don't get along, then move along to another choice.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people say we (the board members) lean too much toward one machine too much, the S9 Autoset. Not sure if it is true or not but a lot of us do have it.

What we do lean toward is patient empowerment (taking control over your own health decisions through information) and encouraging every user has a data capable machine.

All three are data capable and that's good. You want to be able to see how the treatment is or is not working for you.
And all three are compatible with SleepyHead software, an opensource software. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sl...P_Machines

In terms of which one to choose, you don't say how long you used each one. If it was just for a few nights, then base it on noise level, not on how it reacted to your apnea events.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ispetera,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
best of luck to you on your decision.
Check out this link for machine choices: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go with maximum COMFORT for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 06:45 AM)ispetera Wrote: I am not sure he is telling the true or just want me to buy the others CPAP machines.
I've not heard such thing, new machines comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty

Where about are you? if in US, compare prices with on-line suppliers
For outside US, suppliers #2 and #10 ship internationally
Supplier #2 sell gently used and new zero hours machines at reasonable prices
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for all the feed back.

I am from Hong Kong. Thanks for the suppliers list provided by zone.
Yes, I had found the CPAP machine with on-line suppliers in US is just one-third the price of Hong Kong.
Hard to believe the difference ! Of course, maintenance will be a problem as I need to ship the machine
back and fore for repair. Also the supplier can provide local support for any problems quickly.
And the supplier in Hong Kong will loan me a CPAP machine for free while my machine is under repair
during the warranty period (2 years). Is that worth three times the price ?

If anyone (did bought outside US from on-line supplier) can share his/her experience will help.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 630 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 369 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.