Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to set rate on Philips Respironics Dreamstation Bipap
How to set rate on Philips Respironics Dreamstation Bipap
Because of Medicare isses, I purchased a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Bipap online. It's for my 96 year old aunt who is having difficulty expelling CO2.

I was told by the doctor that the correct setting for the bipap should be 10/4 with a rate of 12.

I got into clinician mode and was able to set the IPAP to 10 and the EPAP to 4.  But I can't figure out how to set the rate.

Is it called something else? Or are you even able to set the rate on this machine?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lia
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to set rate on Philips Respironics Dreamstation Bipap
The doctor is talking about a BiPAP with a backup rate, like the BiPAP ST. The auto BiPAP you purchased is capable of auto-adjusting exhale pressure (EPAP) to prevent obstructive apnea, but it cannot supply pressure support to cause a breath on a timed basis. If your aunt has central apnea, the correct machine is the BiPAP Auto SV Advanced or Resmed Airsense 10 ASV. The ST (spontaineous/timed) machines by both Philips and Resmed will also provide backup rates.

We are not privy to the diagnostic information you are trying to deal with, but the machines with backup breath capability are quite expensive, and not very easy to obtain. I suspect you got the Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto, which has auto EPAP, IPAP and pressure support, but no backup rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to set rate on Philips Respironics Dreamstation Bipap
Hi Liabostian,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with getting your aunt set up with the right machine for her needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,201 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,848 7 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 49 8 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 77 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 140 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 130 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.