Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to sleep on my back?
How to sleep on my back?
I'm having back issues and will have for a while. This week my AHI went from a calm, sedate 1.2 on Tuesday to a 4.96 last night, climbing steadily each day as I was sleeping more and more on my back since it is the most comfortable position for me right now.

So if I am going to sleep that way, what can I do to get that AHI down? And it's not just the AHI. I'm also experiencing more PVCs as the AHI climbs. The blood pressure is fine so it's odd the skipping is increasing. I've not increased my pain medication that much yet but will be soon.

I'm thinking the first step would be to raise the max to 20 so it can do more. My 95% for the past several nights is from 17.6 to 18 so I am hitting the roof.

The next step would be to prop me up on pillows, right? We have a recliner but I hate it. No way I can sleep in it.

We briefly me sleeping in my chair since it has tilt. My main hesitation with that is if I jerk my legs, I could fall over, which has happened when I napped once prior to CPAP. I don't jerk that hard now, though. But, still, not too keen on being woke up like that again!Laugh-a-lot
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to sleep on my back?
You having issues sleeping on your back because of the nuance? Because when I sleep on my back I find it easier with that mask. It's when I am on my side it is giving me some issues now and again.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I have back pain. Sleeping on my back is the most comfortable right now. I'd be sleeping great if it weren't for the snoring and gasping and all that. The Elbow Snore Alarm is gentle yet persistent.

The mask is doing great.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
the only thing I can think of is as you said prop yourself up with pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're maxing out on a pressure of 18 then you might try raising the cap to 20.

Propping with pillows, or better yet a wedge, is probably a good idea, too. Although that might increase your back pain.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've slept on my back before but not for so much of the night. I think that's why the AHI is creeping so high.

Normally the 95% is about 16.5-17.

I did have a wedge pillow but we gave it to a friend who had back surgery. I may have to go get myself another! I've got an old body pillow that has a hole in it. I might be able to rig something with that.

But for tonight, I'm just going to turn up the pressure. I'll mess with the pillows tomorrow.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I could help. I cannot for the life of me fall asleep on my back.

Sew tennis balls to the side of your clothes, maybe? Reverse of the old trick to keep you off your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
First set of questions: Are you getting any medical treatment for the back pain? How long has the back been hurting bad enough to force you to sleep on your back? Was there a specific injury to the back?

If the back pain is new and acute, it needs to be looked at. Fixing the back pain (if possible) should fix the current sleep issues. And in the meantime if sleeping on the back helps with healing the back, then tolerating a (slightly) higher AHI while the back is actively healing may be worth it.

Second set of questions: Does propping yourself up on pillows all night really make the back feel any better? Does sleeping in the recliner really make the back feel any better? If you are a side sleeper, have you tried placing a pillow between your legs at night? That helps keep the top hip from flopping over and twisting the spine.

When I injured my knee and back in October, it was quite difficult to sleep on my side when the pain was acute. But propping up on pillows or sleeping in a recliner was even worse since neither of those things provided any meaningful support for the part of the back that was in pain. One the back pain started to subside (with PT for the back and a prescription NSAID for the pain), I was able to start using a pillow between my knees and return to side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue, yeah, sadly, I'm being treated for it. I have a condition (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type) that causes chronic pain. I have some disc issues in several places in my back but they (the docs) are hesitant to do anything just yet. I see the back doc on the 21st for this latest joy. He's a new one for me so maybe fresh eyes will be beneficial.

When I sleep on my side, I use a body pillow. Sometimes I use a smaller pillow for between my feet.

And propping me up at night is going to be difficult because I will need arm support, too.

I woke up this morning with my back and hips killing me. I slept on my side all night. My AHI was 2.5.

I raised the pressure to 20 last night and I'll keep it there until stuff settles. This afternoon we'll try to see if we can find a comfortable pillow arrangement that works. If not (shrug) I'll just have high AHI for a while.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
When I've built myself a sleeping ramp I sometimes use folded blankets with the pillows to widen the ramp area, control the slope etc,wrap a sheet around it to hold in place and even place a sheep skin on top or any combo of the above as the night requires. So I don't feel like I'm on Mount Everest and could fall off if I rolled over wrong. Hope it may add some building material ideas to your forte. Maybe even rolled towels or rolled blankets for arm support .
It's akin to finding the right mask , I found.
Take care,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.