Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to sleep on my side??
How to sleep on my side??
I am hoping you all can give me some suggestions. I am a side sleeper but since CPAP I sleep on my back propped up. 

I wear a full mask and when I move I have leaks so I know trying to sleep on my side it will move the mask. 

Any suggestions?  Does anyone use the CPAP pillows?  Are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance 

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to sleep on my side??
Do you need the full face mask for some reason?
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually started with the nasal pillow but it split my nose open so I had to change to the full mask till it healed. Then the DME told me I had to stick with one for awhile to see what my data shows. I thought about trying the nasal pillow again.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP pillows are very helpful, especially with full masks. But the honest truth is, a properly fitting mask will stay out regardless of how you move; if you leak that bad, it is not fitting right and needs more adjusting (or a different mask entirely)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper too, Sharnie.

I used a FFM for many years and struggled with it leaking and just plain sliding off my face. I finally found that sleeping on the very edge of my pillow, letting the mask kind of "hang off" the edge, eventually gave me the sleeping position I craved. It wasn't perfect but was close enough that after a little practice I got used to it.

I now use a nasal mask and sometimes nasal pillows, and it's even less of a problem sleeping on my side. These masks are much less obtrusive, obviously. If you feel like giving the nasal pillows another go, try a product called Lansinoh®. It's used (mainly) by nursing moms to prevent chapping. It only takes a tiny dab on both nostrils for about a week and I was good to go using the nasal pillows.

Good luck and keep working at it. It'll be worth it.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 08:25 PM)Sharnie Wrote: I actually started with the nasal pillow but it split my nose open so I had to change to the full mask till it healed. Then the DME told me I had to stick with one for awhile to see what my data shows. I thought about trying the nasal pillow again.

Note that Nasal Pillows should rest on, not in the nares of the nose.  Many users start with a pillow size that is too small.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nose mask ( as opposed to nasal pillows or full face mask )..

I'm also a side sleeper, and I toss and turn often during the night due to shoulder and back pain.

I've found a firm flat pillow works best for me, I actually just flipped my contoured pillow over to the flat "underside" and it is good.

Sometimes my mask moves as I swap sides, but I've learned how to wriggle my face a little to get it to re-seat without having to use my hands to adjust it.  Grin

You will get it to work somehow in the end, just have patience while you figure it out... it took me about 6 months to get all the settings and adjusments of the mask/straps/pressures/himidity settled and working for me.
Now going to sleep is usually a 1 to 3 minute process after my head hits the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for replies. I will just keep fiddling with till I find what works.

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
What I learned here is to have the bulk of the pillow behind my head and leave just enough to support my face. My mask more or less hangs over the edge of the pillow.
I use other pillows as needed for arm support. Just make sure nothing is close to the vents in mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well had my 30 day follow up with my DME today. They want me to try a few things with my mask first but in a week if I’m still having leaks they want to try a different mask.

So I have that going for me. Still
trying to decide if it’s worth the
money to buy a CPAP pillow.

Free time that is a good option.

Thank you again

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.