Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to sleep on side without leak?
How to sleep on side without leak?
Hi everyone. Newbie here again. I started with a ResMed AirFit N30i Nasal Cradle, but I have a deviated septum and couldn’t seem to get enough air, so I bought a Dreamwear version and it’s working much better. The resmed has two holes, one per nostril, while the Dreamwear has one long hole. That seems to make a big difference in my air flow.

Anyway, now that I feel like I can breath in the mask, I’m on to the next challenge! I’m a side sleeper by preference. My sleep study for example showed me spending 75% of the time on my sides. But with either mask I can’t seem to find any position on my side where it doesn’t cause the mask to lose some of the seal and start leaking and blowing around the mask. I’ve tried different pillows and hand positions etc. do I just need to crank up the tightness of the mask or is there some other trick? I don’t have any facial hair etc.

Thanks for any advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to sleep on side without leak?
I tried for weeks to stop the leaks with a cradle type mask and never could. I witched to a pillows mask and never had another mask leak. The pillows cushion fists the frame and are interchangeable- Amazon has them at a low cost with no RX needed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a hardcore side sleeper. Can't sleep on my back to save my life. I'm using a Resmed F30 AirFit. I'm also a mouth-breather. 

The F30 works very well for me, as does the F20 AirFit. I alternate between the two from time to time. The first several hours of use, the F30 is great. But, as the night wears on, the silicon heats up and becomes pliable and flimsy. That's when it starts to leak if it's going to do it at all. 

By then, I've had at least 4-6 hours of use, and if it leaks too badly, I just call it quits for the night and take it off. Other times, I'll place one of my wrists in front of my face putting slight pressure on the mask. That usually does the trick. 

I'm not promoting taking your mask off if it leaks. Do what you need to get all the therapy you can. But in my case, I'm not convinced that CPAP Therapy is doing all that much good for me. As long as I meet minimal use, I'm happy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I leave my face hanging off the pillow. It's a downfilled pillow, so very flexible. When I get into position I then tilt my head a smidgen to move mask toward face. It's hard to describe ....
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the Mirage Activa Nasal mask. It's a bit bigger than most nasal masks but it is designed for an 'active' sleeper. The seal actually floats on your face and the mask can be moved around significantly without leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2021, 08:21 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I tried for weeks to stop the leaks with a cradle type mask and never could. I witched to a pillows mask and never had another mask leak. The pillows cushion fists the frame and are interchangeable- Amazon has them at a low cost with no RX needed.

Good idea. I’ll give that a try as well.

To other posts, I have another mask on order as well..... I figure at this pace I’ll end up trying all of the different types before I find the right combination.....  

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll also add in: I had a deviated septum and went through 2 separate septoplasty procedures to fix it (all before I started CPAP). This made wearing nasal pillows unbearable for me after about an hour (anything that put any amount of pressure on my septum).

I've ended up with just a nasal mask at this point which has worked well.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that is helping me (also a side-sleepiing newbie) to prevent any significant leaks with the Dreamwear nasal cushion is to make sure the frame is a small enough size to keep the cushion pulled right up against the bottom of my nose without any slack.  In fact, I'm going to make a fleece vecroed pad to really snug it up against the top of my head.  I'm determined to make it work since the Dreamwear unit with the nasal cushions and soft silicone frame with the hose coming out the top is the most non-invasive and comfortable mask I've tried.  (I also liked the Dreamwear FFM and had less leakage with it, but seem to have "cured" my mouth breathing so want to stay with the less bulky dimensions.)  Oh - and I think the edge of the pillow or a CPAP pillow is also a good tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked at the Core Products Double Edge CPAP Pillow? Available at Amazon. It allows me to sleep on my side and hang my face off the edge of the pillow.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 232 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 401 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.