Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to stop FOT arousals?
How to stop FOT arousals?
Hello,

I am a young male suffering from Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). I have been treating this with a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto and have been experiencing mild improvements, but because I want to fix this problem permanently I just had an MSE (Maxillary Skeletal Expander) appliance installed to improve my sleep and breathing. 

Looking at the Flow Rate, there are times where I get a lot of FOT. My guess is I would be developing a Central but the machine uses FOT to prevent Centrals from happening. I've managed to get rid of most of the flagged events with my current settings but my sleep is still not completely restful and I think the FOT is partly to blame. 

Does anybody know how to get rid of or reduce the FOT? I was thinking it's possible the machine could be "over-ventilating" from too high of a Pressure Support. I'm running 14 IPAP/10 EPAP right now but was thinking about lowering the PS from 4 to 3 and see if this helps. 

Thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to stop FOT arousals?
Need more details. Post zooms of the full data, not just your mask pressure chart.

The only way to get rid of FOT is to get rid of the obstructive or central pauses in breathing causing FOT to trigger. You have to fix the problem, not the symptom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my data from the last few days.

I got rid of most of the flagged events, partly because I started sleeping regularly with a soft cervical collar to reduce positional Flow Limitations. But I still get a lot of FOT and my sleep is not always restful.

Post Reply Post Reply
Show some of the zoomed in examples where FOT if present (like the first views you posted but including the other graphs).
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a few examples of what was going on when I was having the FOT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the FOT has anything to do with your sleep quality.

I am not sure that these are even apnea related, they appear to just be long slow exhalations.

Looking at your previous thread you are using very high trigger and sounds like you found some improvement with that. Have you tried adjusting cycle and what is it set at?

You can try a PS of 3 to see if it has any effect on this stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be curious to know the time between the sharp rise in mask pressure and the start of the FOT. Is it consistent? And is there a respiration rate setting in the clinical menu, or a Te-max setting?

I really should get a Clinicians manual for the VAuto, because I think I'd like to have a VAuto.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if PS down to 3 would help. A direct answer to the FOT...I think if you run S mode, there's a setting pertaining to the FOT (edit... Easy Breathe option off supposedly turns off FOT) But...I don't think that's your issue. I'm not saying I know what exactly is or isn't the problem, but I'm thinking a very limited group have issues with FOT.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2021, 04:59 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I don't think the FOT has anything to do with your sleep quality.

I am not sure that these are even apnea related, they appear to just be long slow exhalations.

Looking at your previous thread you are using very high trigger and sounds like you found some improvement with that. Have you tried adjusting cycle and what is it set at?

You can try a PS of 3 to see if it has any effect on this stuff.

I'm going to try PS of 3 tonight just to see what happens and how it goes in the Oscar data. Bringing Trigger up to Very High got rid of more Centrals but I still have Cycle set to Medium. What do you think I should try changing Cycle to? I'm probably just going to change one setting at a time and track how I feel night-by-night. I think one thing that is impeding progress/recovery is I usually mouth-breathe but I'm hoping as I continue to expand with MSE my nasal breathing will really improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
No Te max (which would effectively be backup rate). You can adjust trigger and cycle sensitivities (how early the pressure changes for inhale/exhale) and min/max inhalation times but most of those won't affect this. Cycle sensitivity might have an effect if it gets exhalation in sync with spontaneous exhalation better (most people prefer a lower cycle sensitivity but in this case perhaps a higher/faster one may be preferable). All he can do is try adjusting it to see if it has any effect.

If the FOT is having any effect it is kick starting the next inhalation. Doesn't appear to be causing any arousals in the examples given so not likely to be causing any symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,469 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,544 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 540 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Gross [CPAP] New RESMED 10 Won't Stop ddwalker 4 410 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,208 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,483 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.