Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to talk & even drink, with your mask on?
RE: How to talk & even drink, with your mask on?
(06-24-2015, 08:43 AM)Ailu Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 02:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Leak prevention comes from the contact of your tongue with the roof of your mouth. You can eventually learn to talk, drink and control the air pressure. Learning can be pretty funny, and produce noises you've not heard before.

Okay I didn't want to hijack another person's thread, so I parted Sleeprider's post here onto a new thread.

This is fascinating to me. During my titration, when I tried to talk with my nasal mask on, the only audible thing I could produce was gasps of air! I don't see how it is possible to talk at all with the machine running. And it was one of the things that concerned me... am I gonna have to take this mask off every time I need to tell hubby or the dog something?

So, how many of you have figured out how to talk & drink with your mask on? And was there anything special you figured out, that helped you be able to do this? All advice & tips greatly appreciated! Smile

I talk and drink with my nasal mask on but not everyone can. I think part of it depends on the nasal mask. My thought and suggestion is that if you can't talk with the mask on, maybe try turning the machine off. You probably could just take the hose off but I wouldn't suggest that as the machine will still be on. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
lol.. I got to this thread from google.." talking with a nasal mask"... The reason I was googling that was I was just playing around with a nasal mask (I use a full face)..

So, I found that I can put the mask on, CPAP running, and somehow my soft palate can block the CPAP airflow from my nose, and I can breathe normal pressure air through my mouth.. I can whistle, talk and swallow without effort.. That seems contrary to others, and also apparently there are adapters that people buy so that they can talk with their mask on..

I'm thinking that my newly discovered superpower probably has some bearing on my OSA's..

I can also, not block the nasal air, and then the CPAP air will rush out my open mouth unless my tongue blocks it -which seems to be normal for most.

Is this weird? It's important - since this is so easy for me to do, that if I started using a nose mask, and mouth breathed, the machine would see no inhale or exhale at all, and would think I was in a very prolonged apnea state .. Sure if I had the nasal airway and mouth opened at the same time, the machine would see it either as a big leak or a mask removal.. That isnt what I'm talking about.. closing off the nasal airway while mouth breathing seems reflexive to me, and the same flesh of the soft palate seems to be the same as is used in making snorting or snoring sounds - except it can be effortlessly locked to close off the nasal airway for me..

I hope that makes sense.. Anyone similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
I can talk, talk on the phone no problem, and drink out of a glass have never tried a straw. I have been doing this for a long time and this wasn't always the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2017, 08:42 AM)DavePaulson Wrote: I can talk, talk on the phone no problem, and drink out of a glass have never tried a straw.  I have been doing this for a long time and this wasn't always the case.

I'm suspecting some view this as a superpower..

In my case, the lock seems to engage when I lay on my back, and no amount of air pressure from the machine can break it..

I'm currently awaiting a feather mattress top so that hopefully I can stay on my side.. right now, my hips hurt after a while..

I think this subject though is very under discussed - judging that even resmed or sleepyhead doesnt understand a "UA" which ends with a 'leak'..
  or most people on this board for that matter..

And that isnt a criticism.. I would have never figured this out if I hadnt played with a nasal mask and discovered  this..
Post Reply Post Reply
A UA which ends with a leak? I am one of those who does not understand. Would you please help me to understand.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2017, 09:36 AM)PaytonA Wrote: A UA which ends with a leak? I am one of those who does not understand. Would you please help me to understand.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

What I should have said is an apnea which ends with a 'leak', is categorized as a "UA"
summary from 1st comment of mine on this thread:

Full face mask. Nasal airway is closed, mouth is closed, lungs empty..  mouth opens, air rushes in and fills lungs is logged as a small leak..

That's not well understood.. Neither is the ability to close the nasal passage effortlessly, as demonstrated by those who can eat , drink and talk with a nasal mask on and PAP running..  I can do that, but it appears so rare, that I dont see much conversation on it.  And trust me, there isnt a pap machine with enough pressure to force open the type of nasal airway closure which I'm talking about.
http://imgur.com/a/BQ8ss
[Image: BQ8ss]
Apneas which end with a leak - UA's here..
[Image: BQ8ss]
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a FFM and can talk with the mask on. One of the skills I learned when I was an Air Force navigator and being able to talk cross cockpit while on oxygen. One of those things you would never think could come in handy in later life. 

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2017, 11:45 AM)Homerec130 Wrote: I use a FFM and can talk with the mask on. One of the skills I learned when I was an Air Force navigator and being able to talk cross cockpit while on oxygen. One of those things you would never think could come in handy in later life. 

Homer

try it with a nasal mask and you'll understand.. Right now, you've missed the point.    With a nasal mask most people cant stop the PAP airflow from coming through their mouth. That is what I mean by "nasal airway closed"
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a nasal mask and couldn't talk or drink when the machine was on. When my sleep doc found out I had a nasal one, he went ballistic and the script was written for a FFM. DME never sent me the correct mask and they filed for liquidation a fews month later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can talk and drink water. Speech is not perfect (sounds like im holding my nose and talking). I note if i open my mouth air is not rushing out like before. I think it might be the machine? Air doesnt blow like crazy on aircurve vs airsense ... airsense would push out what seemed to be a lot of air when there is a leak or opening.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,131 Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 316 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  Anyone talk in their sleep? gm125 1 337 12-04-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Stuck on REM simplified example no much talk sleepyzzz 4 649 07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,626 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,287 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,861 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.