Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to tell if leak is from mouth or mask?
How to tell if leak is from mouth or mask?
In some other posts, I see that it seems to be possible to know from Sleepyhead reports whether Large Leaks are coming from mouth leaks, or from mask leaks?

Is that possible?
If so, what data should I look at to know what the source is of Large Leaks?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to tell if leak is from mouth or mask?
First of all, decide if it's really a problem one way or the other. Look at your pressure graph where it shows LL for large leaks. Is it consistent throughout the night? If so, suspect mouthie. If only on occasion, suspect mask. But mostly, if its not a predominant feature of your graph, you're good to go regardless.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally if you are mouth leaking you will have more dry mouth issues as the air escapes through your mouth.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 06:12 PM)AirSign Wrote: In some other posts, I see that it seems to be possible to know from Sleepyhead reports whether Large Leaks are coming from mouth leaks, or from mask leaks?

Is that possible?
If so, what data should I look at to know what the source is of Large Leaks?

TIA
I don't use SH, not sure how SH work out large leak but according to ResMed leak is acceptable and considered good if 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m but again any leak whether large or small affecting your sleep, need to be sort it out

As for how to identify mouth leak, dry mouth is the first sign and leak graph shows few spikes at some of the times and none at other times

See page 56/57 ResScan interpretation guide for more information
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.