Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to tell when a mask needs replacing
Question 
How to tell when a mask needs replacing
The DME says to replace my nasal mask every two weeks, but they always look fine to me. They don't appear worn or cracked at all. I'm afraid I'm throwing away perfectly good masks way before they need to be replaced. What should I be looking for to determine whether a mask needs replacement?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to tell when a mask needs replacing
Is your insurance company being charged for replacements, and your DME sending them to you, or are you buying them from somewhere else, with your own money? If they are still resilient, and do not leak more than they did new, then they are fine. My DME doesn't even get into replacing anything except whole masks after three months, when they say it is allowed by insurance company. So the mask, and cushion I have had since Sept. will be six months old when it will be replaced, for first time. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim Bronson,
I would say that if you are noticing a few more leaks you should change your cushion. Of course, that's different for everybody. For me, changing a cushion every two weeks is overkill.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 08:25 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: The DME says to replace my nasal mask every two weeks, but they always look fine to me. They don't appear worn or cracked at all. I'm afraid I'm throwing away perfectly good masks way before they need to be replaced. What should I be looking for to determine whether a mask needs replacement?

Thanks.

Hi Jim,
If you are using a nasal mask, depending on insurance, should be replaced every 3 to 6 months. Now if you are using a nasal pillows mask, then yes, the nasal pillows should be replaced every 2 weeks, not the entire mask.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I presume he's replacing the "cushion," not the whole mask.

I suggest getting at least two spares of everything as fast as insurance will pay. Then rotate through the parts you have until they start to break or wear out.

Once a week or so, wash everything really well, then put aside the freshly cleaned parts and let them sit somewhere clean and dry while you use some of your other spare parts.

Have used the same Swift FX nasal pillows for a year or so with no obvious problems, but I'm rotating through several pairs of pillows.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 08:25 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: The DME says to replace my nasal mask every two weeks, but they always look fine to me.
Good if you can get it Coffee

Usually, I replace the cushion as soon as start making an impression on the bridge of my nose or leak into the eyes ... anything 4 to 6 weeks

The frame is different matter altogether, I have a few of hem and only replace when broken and need to thrown away

Headgear: about 6 months

Post Reply Post Reply
Every two weeks is a joke. That is what insurance will pay (you better hope). It's fine to get some spares, but the nasal pillows easily last several months. You will notice an increase of leaks and less resilience when they wear out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. From now on I'll just keep using them as long as they work and don't show any signs of damage or wear. Insurance pays for everything so far, but I don't fancy throwing them out if they're still functional. Mask is a Mirage FX nasal type, not the pillow type. I wash them in warm water with mild soap most every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told that the cushion part of your mask regardless of type should be replaced every month. Why? Because the silicone is porous and bacteria get into the pores and are hard to remove even with regular washing. This pitting is microscopic so you cannot see it. Frequent cushion changes which ins and medicare have agreed to is because of research proving this. Changing mask cushions is less expensive for the ins companies than treating pneumonia and other respiratory diseases.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 07:49 AM)Lukie Wrote: I was told that the cushion part of your mask regardless of type should be replaced every month. Why? Because the silicone is porous and bacteria get into the pores and are hard to remove even with regular washing. This pitting is microscopic so you cannot see it. Frequent cushion changes which ins and medicare have agreed to is because of research proving this. Changing mask cushions is less expensive for the ins companies than treating pneumonia and other respiratory diseases.

Lukie,
Exactly! You can't always see the breakdown just by looking. More so with the nasal pillows. These pillows sit just inside your nostrils and they do breakdown pretty fast.
They get soft and therefore start to cause leaks.
It is best to follow insurance schedule on replacing these parts. It isn't excessive...your well being is more important.
Coffee
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,185 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 5 1,282 01-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  Cleanng vs Replacing SakimaStorm 4 544 01-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  DME replacing my faulty Airsense 10 with an 11..should i accept? tierdal 9 1,290 03-29-2022, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.