Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to tell when a mask needs replacing
RE: How to tell when a mask needs replacing
(03-03-2015, 04:34 PM)sgearhart Wrote: One side note: Don't try boiling the P10 nasal pillows. The silicone is attached to a low temp plastic frame. If you boil them, you will successfully create a nasal pillow glue ball.

Gee, that's a bad design. I wonder if it's intentional.

Have you actually done melted a set of pillows?

That's why you only use the boiling water on your old mask parts after you get replacements.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2015, 04:42 PM)archangle Wrote: Have you actually done melted a set of pillows?

Big Time!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So we have heard everything in this thread regarding mask replacement from every 2 weeks (often mentioned just for pillows) up to 6 months to a year. Not sure why this is so hard to nail down, but it seems like if the pillows or mask starts leaking more, then it might be time

FYI, my sleep doc recommends 3-6 months for mask replacement. My DME sends a new one every 3 months. The doc does not recommend this schedule for anything to do with bacteria or germs; he recommends it because the plastic breaks down. I sort of thought plastic was the one thing that would be here with the cockroaches long after we and the animals depart, so this seems odd to me.

I guess the only thing we know for sure is that masks don't last forever, and probably not as long as we might expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got 12 months out of my first set Pilairo pillows. I replaced them even though they felt no different from new.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've often wondered when to replace a mask also. Since I use the AirFit P10 the DME calls me every 3 months to see what supplies I need. Does the condition of the nasal pillows in the AirFit P10 mask have any influence on the numbers I see on my machine after a night sleep? Recently I've noticed that the pressure varies anywhere from 12.0 to 15.2, leak rate can be 6L up to 24L, and AHI can also vary from 0.5 to 2.5. I've been using baby shampoo to clean my nasal pillows and the humidifier every morning and just recently started washing the short tubing so the vent area of the mask can be clean (I hope). What causes the AHI to vary or is that a normal thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only just started using the CPAP and I am being advised by ResSleep, an associated company of ResMed (not totally sure of the legal connection...). Anyway, after seeing this thread I was going into see the therapist here in Sydney (home of ResMed) and thought I would ask them what replacement schedule I should use. I noted on their USA site it says every 2wks for pillows. Anyway the therepist said that 6-18mths should be fine. I also noted they have no specific schedule on the Australian ResMed site. All this suggests, as other people have mentioned, the two week schedule is what insurance covers and ResMed doesn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every two weeks would be high overkill. I used to wash the cushions everyday and the hose and tank. Now I do it about once a week.

Topping off the tank I dont see where the danger is. Even if something hideous were to somehow get into the tank it wont make to the mask or leave the water in the tank even. Water vapor is to small to carry bacteria or virus and any rainout is water vapor that condensed in the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take your point, but how about spores? Those can be airborne just like water vapor, and pressure will make them land you know where.

Topping off also just adds to the precipitate buildup.

I am an advocate for tap water, because of your point above. But imagine (and I am sorry for the extreme example) what it would be like if your tub was full of cat pee. Sure, all that vaporizes, technically, is H20 molecules, but I suspect the experience might still be very different than with tap or distilled water.

Ew. Just grossed myself out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 10:09 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I take your point, but how about spores? Those can be airborne just like water vapor, and pressure will make them land you know where.

Topping off also just adds to the precipitate buildup.

I am an advocate for tap water, because of your point above. But imagine (and I am sorry for the extreme example) what it would be like if your tub was full of cat pee. Sure, all that vaporizes, technically, is H20 molecules, but I suspect the experience might still be very different than with tap or distilled water.

Ew. Just grossed myself out.

The "orthodox" answer is that even if there are germs (including "spores") in the humidifier, they will remain behind in the water as it evaporates. It's generally considered that you need to "aerosolize" the water in order to make the germs leave the water and get into the airstream. "Aerololize" means make tiny droplets out of the air. Humidifiers aren't supposed to aerosolize the water.

Whether this is really true in all cases isn't entirely clear.

Actually, evaporating the water does not produce only water vapor. "Volatile" chemicals such as chlorine, gasoline, solvents, etc. will come out of the water along with the water vapor. However, if these things are in your drinking water, you're ingesting them anyway. It probably doesn't matter that much if you inhale it or drink it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,524 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 5 1,278 01-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  Cleanng vs Replacing SakimaStorm 4 543 01-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  DME replacing my faulty Airsense 10 with an 11..should i accept? tierdal 9 1,285 03-29-2022, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.