Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to use a cervical collar.
How to use a cervical collar.
In my quest to get a night with zero leaks I've decided to give a cervical collar a shot with my p10 mask.

I found the collar to be ridiculously uncomfortable on the first night and the leaks were better 3% instead of 10%. AHI was consistent at 0.3

Actually, was litterally a pain in my neck.

Looking for some tips from people using a collar?

Thanks,

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to use a cervical collar.
Measure the circumference of your neck, and add a couple inches when considering length of collar.
Also measure under your chin to bottom of neck.  Subtract a couple of inches for height.

The “soft” collar should not be tight or rigid.  The most logical place to buy is on Amazon.  They offer various collar styles, and you can choose one that isn’t too tight or too high.

I occasionally use one, but I mostly switched to a “toddler size” crescent shaped neck cushion.  
The reason was that I didn’t like the feel of the soft cervical collar at the back of my neck.  I place the small toddler cushion in the front of my neck and it only circles around the sides.  

I don’t mouth breath, but use it because I’m famous for chin tucking.  This supports my chin and pretty much stays in place all night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an old collar but wanted an extra one to keep packed with my CPAP stuff so I wouldn't forget it (been there done that).  I went to a local medical supply store and was measured for the proper size, came home and tried it and WOW, yes, it was uncomfortable.  That being said, it was probably the correct size for a serious neck injury but I want something to help me from tilting my chin downwards.  May I suggest that you try a smaller size.
Post Reply Post Reply
i have a couple different collars, and they really help support my neck so that I can relax --- but when I wear one my pressures rise by 4 cmh20.  !!! the one I use most often is short, and can be worn quite loose...  i dunno how to account for it, other than perhaps there is less room in my mouth for my tongue when it's fully shut  Dont-know
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
The one I have goes around my neck and just touches on the back. It also adjusts height in front. It's not tight or anything. It's comfortable to wear.

The issue I am having is it makes my pillow seem to low and I feel like my neck is getting torqued when I'm on my side as if the collar is a fulcrum.

My feeling is that the collar is to thick horizontal direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
dracus changing pillows might help. A lot of people use the Wheat Chaff pillows or the foam fitting pillows. You can arrange them for side or back sleeping and they hold their position so head doesn't move around. I use a My Pillow and the collar and it's help me. YMMV.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've got a memory foam pillow, not the contour one more like a purple pillow.

I'll see about maybe throwing a pillow under my other one.. See what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
The type and style of collar and how you wear it might make a difference.

The main function of the collar is to support the lower jaw all the way back to where it meets the upper jaw. The style of collar I use is solid for about 80% of the circumference and the rest is a simple velcro strap at the back. When I put the collar on I leave it loose enough so that the front is not completely in contact with my throat. My chin won't dip under the collar and I've got a little bit of movement. I just tried doing the collar all the way up and yes, it is uncomfortable. I use a medium size collar. I tried the large but it was too big. and raised the front of my jaw too high.

The collar was the big step forward I needed in my treatment to deal with mouth breathing. Persevere, it's a lot more comfy than a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
The issue with a chin strap was it pulled my chin back which put pressure on my tmj.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I forgot to mention the pillow type.  I switched a very flat pillow so that my head is not tilted upwards as much, keeping my neck more in a straight line.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 355 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 372 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.