Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to use a cervical collar.
RE: How to use a cervical collar.
I found the drugstore type way too hot, too rigid and therefore uncomfortable.  

For me, ymmv, this soft black Caldera 'neck rest' <$20 is like a dream to wear and does the job.  

[Image: 41SJU7wR5uL.jpg]

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using that exact one.  Works really great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 03:32 PM)WillSleep Wrote: I found the drugstore type way too hot, too rigid and therefore uncomfortable.  

For me, ymmv, this soft black Caldera 'neck rest' <$20 is like a dream to wear and does the job.  

I have been searching for a better crevice brace.  I have a 17.5 inch neck (neck shirt size).  Would the Large Caldera Ne k Rest fit me comfortably?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
My collar is of soft foam and goes round 80% of my neck, the rest is velcro.

It is slightly narrower where my chin rests on. When fitted, I can insert 2-3 fingers into it between collar and neck. My therapy has improved massively since the night I first slept with it and now I just cannot sleep without it. In summer it can get hot but it helps with draft proofing my neck with the cooler winter nights.

Have to say success also was earned in association with my change from a FFM to the nasal pillows.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 10:46 PM)CZOscar Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 03:32 PM)WillSleep Wrote: I found the drugstore type way too hot, too rigid and therefore uncomfortable.  

[Image: 41SJU7wR5uL.jpg]

I have been searching for a better crevice brace.  I have a 17.5 inch neck (neck shirt size).  Would the Large Caldera Ne k Rest fit me comfortably?

Thank you

Hi CZOscar,

I have been traveling and just logged back in.

" I have a 17.5 inch neck (neck shirt size).  Would the Large Caldera Ne k Rest fit me comfortably? "

I currently wear a 16.5" in collar but it is just a hair too tight and 30 lbs ago I was wearing a 17.5" collar. 

I am going to reply to your question with not exactly a 100% straightforward  answer:    " YES / Um, well Maybe"

The "YES" part:  I sometimes wear the collar loose enough to get my fist between my neck and my collar.  So yes for sure my collar would fit on your neck with ease and not have a painful goofy part scratching your neck with on.  

The "Um, well Maybe" part:   I know my fist fits because I like to wear the collar loose, breezy and comfy.   So while my specific collar will fit you, you might not be able to wear it as loose as you like.

Post Reply Post Reply
It will fit but be tight. The large officially goes to 17.25".

I have a 17.5" neck and it does close but it's barely closed and possible to come off if you're super active sleeper.

I had concidered getting some extra velcro but it wasn't really necessary after I broke it in. 

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2017, 12:43 AM)dracus Wrote: It will fit but be tight. The large officially goes to 17.25".

I have a 17.5" neck and it does close but it's barely closed and possible to come off if you're super active sleeper.

I had concidered getting some extra velcro but it wasn't really necessary after I broke it in. 

Anthony

Hi Anthony. I am in bed with Amara View Mask Reading with New recommended cervical brace around my neck - comfortabltpy.  I had to extend the Velcro on a Walmart Barcelona but I don’t think I will need to on the very comfortable brace.

Thank you.  Willl need to order another size large (large made) for a spare.

Still having mask issues but closing in.  Exhausted been reading fascination book.  The zworlds Wortst Journey by Apsley Cherry-Garrard written in 1922 about the fatal Antartica Scott expiation.  Impossiblrpe to put down 

Thanks again best cervical brace I’ve used.  NowI need best possible chin strap - any suggestions?

Nite nite and  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello CZOscar,

I use an adjustable Ruby chinstrap with good results. It is comfortable and helps me keep my big mouth shut. The PapCap and the Ultimate Chinstrap have been given good recommendations as well. Whichever chinstrap you use, be sure to follow the manufacturer's guide on sizing to insure a good fit. Keep in mind you my have to wear it more on your jaw than on your chin in order to keep it from pushing your chin back.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2017, 11:58 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Hello CZOscar,

I use an adjustable Ruby chinstrap with good results. It is comfortable and helps me keep my big mouth shut. The PapCap and the Ultimate Chinstrap have been given good recommendations as well. Whichever chinstrap you use, be sure to follow the manufacturer's guide on sizing to insure a good fit. Keep in mind you my have to wear it more on your jaw than on your chin in order to keep it from pushing your chin back.

Thanks

Appreciate your recommendations
Post Reply Post Reply
CZOoscar, Glad to see you found a solution.    

I am replying again for the sake of board 'data quality' / information completeness on my earlier post.  

These came to mind after my last post.

1) I agree with what dracus wrote..  likely would have been too tight for a 17.5" neck when first purchased, seemed to loosen up and stretch out nicely in the first week.

2)  In my experience this Caldera brace (and the other brace I tried) to achieve my intended goals of 'A) reducing jaw drop forward' and B) reducing likelihood of 'mouth breathing' while I sleep the the front of the brace needs to extends / sticks out forward enough from the front of my neck to rest near the end of my jaw.  

After being broken in by wearing a few nights the Large sized Caldera neck rest (along with other tips in the forum) is doing a great job of achieving these goals.    Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully I have retired the pap-cap and ruby brace.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 227 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 551 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 428 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 363 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 536 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 373 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.