Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to write/express BiPAP pressure?
How to write/express BiPAP pressure?
I recently asked a respiratory therapist and a doctor how to express bipap pressure in writing.  One said EPAP/IPAP, the other said IPAP/EPAP.  Im thinking one misunderstood my question?

For context, my previous setting was IPAP 19 and EPAP 14.

Ive been referring to this as BiPAP 19/14

Am i right, or should it be reversed when verbalizing or writing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure?
Much depends on which BiLevel mode you are using, so it is probably best to give labels for each number.

My own preference would be for EPAP first; so EPAP 14, IPAP 19.

Of course if you are using vAuto mode (fixed PS, variable E&I PAP), you would specify Min EPAP, Max IPAP, and PS.

And variable PS makes it even more complicated.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Im using fixed BiPAP (Bi-Level) as opposed to Auto BiPAP (AutoB) on my Philips Dreamstation.

I understand the preference stated by Pholynyk. What I am seeking to understand is how it would be written (and thus verbally expressed) on, for example, a prescription by a doctor. I think this would be the most accurate in terms of reference when discussing with doctors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the EPAP will always be the lowest value, I don't think it matters. The thing that is missing is the mode. If you are in the "S" mode, then your listing of 19/14 would mean your EPAP=14 and the IPAP=19, and an implied PS=5. If you are using VAuto, then you need to list a PS value. It is possible to have it listed as 14/19 PS=3. When using a Bi-Level CPAP, I would think it is best to always list a PS value, so the device mode is insignificant.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Crimson Nape is referring to a different machine/brand than my Dreamstation when discussing “S” mode and VAuto. However, he did answer my question, as my IPAP 19 and EPAP 14 on Bi-Level would be correctly written and verbally discussed with doctors as BiPAP 19/14.

Thank you!

And, of course, when confusion reigns between doctor and patient, i can expicitly say “EPAP” and “IPAP”

:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct! I seem to have a problem comprehending a member's profile this morning. I'm blaming it on residual tryptophan from all the turkey I've consumed this past week. Big Grin

I'm guessing the Philips has a fixed pressure mode akin to the Resmed's "S" mode.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 918 3 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 436 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 295 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.