Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How variable is AHI, as reported by ResMed? (Mask fit)
How variable is AHI, as reported by ResMed? (Mask fit)
And my follow-up question: how long is a piece of string? Wink

I got a new foam "AirTouch" mask gasket yesterday, replacing the silicone one I had been suffering until now. My AHI last night was 1.5, up from 0.11 the previous night. I've only been doing CPAP for a few weeks, but my AHI has always been < 1, except when I've been deliberately fiddling with the pressure settings.

I confess that I had a job to get the mask to fit, although the leak rate report by OSCAR wasn't very different (essentially zero every night).

Before I blame the mask, I was wondering...

How common is it to see outliers in AHI like this, with no clear change in set-up or circumstances? I'm aware that 1.5 isn't a particularly worrying AHI, but it isn't "green" in the OSCAR statistics page Smile

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How variable is AHI, as reported by ResMed? (Mask fit)
That really is not something you can answer without data (oscar).  Centrals are very inconsistent with one day none and the next with several.  You could have slept in a wrong position (positional apnea).  Mask leaks (although you said that was not the case).  There are more but you have to post the data for anyone to know.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
What Stacey said. Moving from one FFM to another probably shouldn't have made much difference unless it allowed you to sleep more or less than you were before etc. But we'd need to see your chart and what part of your AHI bumped up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2022, 09:14 AM)Ratchick Wrote: What Stacey said. Moving from one FFM to another probably shouldn't have made much difference unless it allowed you to sleep more or less than you were before etc.  But we'd need to see your chart and what part of your AHI bumped up.

Well, you may remember that I posted a snippet of my periodic breathing in another thread. What was different last night -- with the new mask gasket -- was that more of the ups and downs in ventilation during these times of periodic breathing last night were actually flagged by the ResMed as apneas. I don't think my breathing was hugely different -- I suspect it often just hovers on the edge of being classed as an apnea.

I can't think of any reason why this would be related to the mask fit, when there were no more or fewer leaks. The new mask gasket is less uncomfortable, so perhaps I slept differently. Also it was warmer, so I wasn't woken as often by blasts of cold air into the mask.

I'm hoping this is just a fluke.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI as reported from your PAP is almost never going to be a trend of exactly 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. You should, with time on PAP, recognize a trend that your AHI will be within a certain range, say 0-3 like mine was. A variance of .11 AHI is perfectly acceptable. Just keep looking, there's nothing wrong in doing that. But small variances are not worthy of your concern. Unless it drastically changed how you feel, you should just view statistics and form trends.

Note that zero AHI isn't your goal. You will be void of any comfort in the attempt. Comfort over AHI always.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Potentially, a better mask fit with less leaks could lead to slightly more effective therapy, and if someone has treatment sensitive centrally disordered breathing, that could cause a few more central events. But again, small variations with centrals is par for the course (and sometimes big ones).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 3 108 Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Last Post: cps22
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,246 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 424 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 544 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 563 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,591 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Mask Change P10/ N30 to F20 Issue (Resmed) mcman56 14 1,019 11-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.