Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How warm do heated hoses get?
How warm do heated hoses get?
I am using a heated hose, with the humidity set to 3 (default) and the hose heat set to 5 (highest). I am still getting rain-out. We keep the house at 19C/68F at night so it is not very cold. If I put my hand around the hose in the middle of the night, it is hard to tell if is warm or not. It might be slightly warmer than the machine, it is hard to tell. Is that normal, or do they get noticeably warm? This is my second hose and machine and both have been like this.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How warm do heated hoses get?
I have a Climate Line Air heated hose for my Airsense Autoset 10 with the hose temperature maxed out at 86 deg F, and it still does not feel noticeably warm. As far as I know, it's not supposed to either. It's more like the little heat elements you have in your rear car window to defog. They make the glass warmer, but not so warm that you can easily tell.

Rainout can and will still occur, and the only solutions are:
1) Make your bedroom warmer
2) Lower the humidity setting
3) Raise the hose temp (but yours is already maxed out)
4) Get thermal cover for the both the heated hose and the short tube attached to your mask.
5) Keep the machine low on the ground so that condensation drains back into the humidifier

I've found that 4 and 5 are especially helpful, and yes, you can still use thermal covers for heated hoses, as they will not get dangerously hot. Also with measure 5 implemented, when I do get rainout it's a non-issue, as it just goes back into the humidifer.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you think about it, 86f is still less than body temperature, so it'll *feel* cold. the only way to tell if a heated hose is working is to use a thermometer on it, and see if it's a bit warmer than ambient.

rainout with heated hoses isn't unheard of.
Post Reply Post Reply
It should only be a couple of degrees above room temperature. It is not designed to heat the air, just designed to make the walls of the tube warm enough to prevent condensation. I wonder if 3 is too high for conditions.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
68 degrees no too cold? That's freezing! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I love a 68 deg bedroom.....just right...
Post Reply Post Reply
I like 68 deg bedroom also, which is why you need a heated hose to keep it at about the temperature of the moist air inside it, so the moisture doesn't condense on it. A insulating sock will do that too, the tube will initially be heated up to the temperature of the air passing inside it, and the sock will keep the hose from calling down to the temperature of the room, just like a sweater keeps you warm. A full length insulating sock, you can buy them or make one by cutting the ends off some thick socks and sewing them together to make one long sock to cover the entire hose.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chill,
I use a heated hose and I also use a hose cover and have not had any trouble with the hose getting too warm, nor have I had rainout.
The hose doesn’t get really warm at all.
Good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was me, I'd lower the humidity setting. There's no sin in setting it lower than the default value. I run my humidifier set at #3 and sleep in a 67° F. room without a heated hose and never get rain out. If I did, I'd not hesitate to lower the humidifier setting. Heated hoses have never been necessary for me.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I'm just curious about how much condensation people are usually talking about when they talk about "rainout" and if rainout can mean condensation in the mask only or if it always means condensation in the tubing.

I started using CPAP this past winter, and a couple of times I woke up to find condensed moisture inside my nasal mask. I lowered my humidity setting from 3 to 2 and it didn't happen again and still seemed comfortable to me.

That was with room temp around 62 degrees and my CPAP machine about 24" lower than my mask.

I just tried looking up the temperature of exhaled air and found 27C/80F as a typical number.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 87 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 546 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.