Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How warm do heated hoses get?
RE: How warm do heated hoses get?
My resmed climateline hoses do get warm enough to feel the warmth. I have both the humidity and the hose maxed, and I like it that way, although I think that the newer systems go higher on the humidity. Also, it does warm the air just enough to make it bug me less. I am extremely finicky about cold air blowing around my face! so this is a good thing.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidity is controlled by a heater in contact with the bottom of the tank (ResMed Air series) and I have no doubt that all humidity systems work the same way. The only way the system can increase the humidity is to heat the water, blowing air over warm water and adding humidity to blowing air is a great way to heat the air. The temperature of the air you are breathing is mostly caused by the humidity setting.

The tube temperature is another thing, there is a low wattage heater wire embedded in the plastic, and plastic is a pretty good insulator. The purpose of this hose heater is to warm the plastic so that it is not colder than the warm, moist air flowing through it. Does it actually heat the air in the hose, well of course-some. Any heat going into the air from the hose has to go through the plastic, this is not a fast process. Plastic does not conduct heat well, just look at all the plastic pan handles there are.

Metal to metal and metal to water conducts heat quite well and this is where "most" of the heat comes from

Rainout can get bad enough to make the air bubble through the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
I smell setting mistakes.
Are you sure you are in heated hose mode?
I ask because 3 is max humidity in heated hose mode not "default"
Tube setting of 5 unless your in a 50 degree room is going to some hot humid air.

Im guessin if you will check closley your machine is in PRS1 humidity mode.
That means you have heated tube off and 5 is your humidity setting.
I run my pr heated hose on 1 with max humidity in s bedroom that stays in the low 50s in winter and cannot force it to rain out in heated hose mode. Or even have a damp tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 10:19 PM)PoolQ Wrote: ... The temperature of the air you are breathing is mostly caused by the humidity setting.

Perhaps so, but there is a difference I can feel both in the temperature of the hose and in the temperature of the air between the default setting (70f) I started with and the max (86f) I am running now.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the replies. It seems that the machine and hose are operating as expected. I did reduce the humidity to 2. I prefer more humidity but listening to the water droplets bounce in the tube and 1/2 tsp or so of water on my face keeps me awake. If the lower humidity does not work or is too dry I will try insulating the hose.

I was told by my supplier to not put the machine lower than my head. I also have the hose held up over my head with a hose stand.

I don't think it is a setting mistake. The hose heat setting only appears when I plug the hose in. Both the hose temperature and humidity settings go from 1-5 on the DreamStation. I checked the clinician manual did not see a PRS1 humidity mode.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2016, 12:10 AM)chill Wrote: I was told by my supplier to not put the machine lower than my head.

that goes against *ALL* advice on dealing with rainout.

as was mentioned, the simplest solution is to have the machine be lowest point between your nose and the machine, no dips in the hose below machine level, then any condensed moisture can simply run back into the tank for a second try at getting to your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run my A10 at hum level of 6 without a heated hose and I run my hose under the pillow and the covers to keep it warm. No problems with rainout in a 68° room even at 50% rel hum.
Post Reply Post Reply
google "1018807_humidair-vs-h5i_fact-sheet_usa_eng.pdf"
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there was another thread here someplace about not putting the machine on the floor, I think the reason ended up being potential of dog farts getting into the air intake... not good.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
The rationale from my sleep clinic was that the weight of the hose might pull on the mask and cause leaks. With the F&P Eson, I can see that as being a possibility. Lowering the humidity helped. There were only about 3 drops in the mask this morning. I can live with that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 156 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,008 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 650 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 396 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,372 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 695 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 561 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.