Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hows A/C for you with stuffy noses?
RE: Hows A/C for you with stuffy noses?
Quote:So, first, it is a humidifier and the smallest size i can get away with please???
All humidifiers raise the relative humidity by adding water vapor to the air. the one I use is fairly large, holds four litres of water and will last for 2 nights. So the smallest you could use would be large enough to hold at least 2 litres. A vaporant is normally added, the water is heated by the element & "cool steam" is emitted by the device, raising the room's humidity.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:These AC window units are not at all like the Central Air that i am used to. I believe Central Air releases LESS humidity into the air whereas I think that these AC window units release far too much humidity.
Case in point: The Window directly to the right of the AC is now falling apart. All the plaster over the cement is crumbling due to the moisture.
Im not having it fixed until I have this situation under control in case i ruin it again

AC units do not release humidity into the air, they remove it. But that water has to go somewhere. Usually there is a hose from the back of the window unit that lets the water drip onto the ground or is redirected into the gutter. Yours may be tilted toward the window instead of away from it and the water is dripping onto the window sill and rotting out the plaster. Or the drain is clogged.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 09:22 PM)woozie38 Wrote: All humidifiers raise the relative humidity by adding water vapor to the air.

Most of the humidifiers add moisture to the air by atomizing it instead of vaporizing it. Instead of producing steam what they produce are tiny droplets of liquid water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidity in your place with the AC on will be higher than in the winter. I do HVAC for a living and for 35 yrs have watched humidity in all kinds of buildings daily. No matter what AC you have you will have more humidity in the summer than the winter. However, old unserviced AC;s, mainly window AC's will harbour all kinds of mouldss to cause you sinus issues.

Ever heard of legionairs? Where do you think it started to form new life? An Ac, in *gasp* was it Toronto? LOL.

A well serviced AC will remove moulds and pollen from the air and actually CLEAN the air as it removes some moisture.
Bottom line, the humidity in your place in Toronto right now is 40 % higher than it was in February, hands down. Even if you have 20 AC units in that bedroom. The mould count could however be through the roof! The air could also be disturbing dust in the carpets of your new place. I always use the humidifier on my CPAP just bit in the summer.

As a side bar, I hear Rob Ford is back in town. I would love a selfie of Rob and myself! Good luck.
I am not a morning person.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 08:24 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: The Window directly to the right of the AC is now falling apart. All the plaster over the cement is crumbling due to the moisture.

That's gonna be your number one air quality issue right there. As Paula said, that's water damage. And what you see is just the tip of the iceberg. Underneath that crumbling facade is rotten, wet wood that's infested with mold.

Visible water damage is the number one indicator of poor indoor air quality.

Stop the water that's causing the damage. Remove the damaged wood, plaster, and concrete. Put a fan on it to dry it out. Have it tested for toxic mold.

Scare the begeezus out of your super and tell him to get his arse in gear!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:We use the Walgreens Cool Mist Humidifier. It works great and keeps me from waking up to my wife's coughing or snoring. That, combined with the HEPA filter in the bedroom, has been a miracle treatment for her asthma and allergy symptoms.

As to that kid bouncing off the bed onto the floor in the morning, I would call the super. And I'd get some ear plugs, too. I always wear ear plugs when sleeping away from home. Keeps all those strange noises from waking me up.[/quote

Thanks. I will look up the one at Walgreens and see the stats. We don't have Walgreens here but I am familiar with it and will find something similar now that i know that one works for you.
Thanks again

Kid: Hate to complain. Did do nicely at first found out they lied and sneaked a kid in although they were told they couldn't have one but they were very apologetic and for several months very good but kids will be kids and its the price you pay sharing such close quarters. For 3 years i never heard a peep in this building. Now 2 new neighbours have made up for it.
I moved a fan right beside my head. Thats great white noise and will block all of them out ;-)

[quote]A vaporant is normally added, the water is heated by the element & "cool steam" is emitted by the device, raising the room's humidity.

I just remembered why I don't use humidifiers. There is a difference I recall and now remember that I will only use the cold ones not the heated humidifiers.
Those heated ones cover your place, tables, walls, in a white dust.
The cold ones done do that so it MUST be a cold one.

Thank you for inadvertently reminding me...........

As for the wall. Its an old building kept up well from the 40's so its cement and then plaster over it. At this point there isn't any mould but I am watching........Its not leaning the wrong way. we did that at first and it all came forward but this is the wall beside and its just too close to it. Poor planning. They fixed it once before but it being so close the moisture is causing it-in any event, I don't see any reason to worry about it now not yet. Thnk

Unfortunately i live in a nice building that was just sold to some people who have an awful management company and they are letting it go.
We have learned very quickly that if you dare complain to management for anything, there will be payback.
For now i have learned to keep quiet.
Its not worth the hassles.......Ive never encountered landlords like this or at least the management company but we have 2 scooters which we need to park outside and any time we complain about something, we are told we need to go park them elsewhere at tremendous cost........as long as we don't say anything at all, we are left alone LOL
I will plot my revenge once I no longer have a scooter to worry about let alone 2 of them Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2014, 02:26 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Those heated ones cover your place, tables, walls, in a white dust.

Mine doesn't. That white dust is the minerals in the water. That will happen only if you have hard water.

Since you have a heated humidifier in your CPAP machine you really don't need a whole room humidifier. Especially in the summer in Toronto. Now in the winter, well, that's a different story.

Since you can't repair the water damage, at least make sure the air conditioner is pitched away from the building so that the water in the condensate pan flows away from the building. From outside you should see it dripping onto the ground.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Since you have a heated humidifier in your CPAP machine you really don't need a whole room humidifier. Especially in the summer in Toronto. Now in the winter, well, that's a different story.

If thats the case then WHAT is it I am doing wrong???? If only i could figured out what I was doing to get stuffed up some times during the night to other things when I am not but since i CANT....

Is there some setting I should be putting this humidifier on, that i have wrong?

I would REALLY love just one good nights sleep where i don't become stuffed up with the mask on

/goes off to find name of spray someone here uses at nightie so i cAN get some.......

As for this wall beside my A/C. Everyone needs to stop worrying about it. Its fine, honestly. There isn't any leakage. Its the window well, and its the well wall right beside the window, which is about a 4 inch or 6 inch width.
Its, I believe, just moisture from the AC sitting 3 inches away from it and the wall was originally all cement. The workman have put in something else to over it up from last year doing the same and the moisture in the air 3 inches, IF that beside it is causing it to all fall off the wall. Its not holding.......
No one can see it but I as I have the blinds closed during the days so it covers it.
If I hd it fixed now, once again they would do a lousy job and another month of the AC would have it all crumbling again.

I know people keep saying an AC does not put moisture into a room but sometimes this one does
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a HEPA air cleaning machine in your bedroom?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
No.
Ive never had a need for any machines..........so not sure why I would use one of those?

BTW, as far as I know I have never been allergic to anything in my life.......

Never needing a machine, as far as I know, so I haven't ever paid any attention to what they are supposed to do.

Thinking of dumping the AC and getting one of those powerful DYSON fans OR a fan in the ceiling on a light.
I believe that would keep me cool enough
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,027 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
Gross CPAP air is stuffy, and I want to whine about it. loofah 8 659 10-05-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  CPAP Stuffy Nose Spray Perchance2Dream 8 1,410 03-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Hot and stuffy masssleep 2 413 03-24-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: masssleep
  OSCAR Results, woke up to a stuffy nose matty675 11 1,248 08-19-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: matty675
  Newbie - Stuffy nose turning me into mouth breather Bert S 16 1,852 10-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Bert S

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.