Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Huge nose, mask needed for it
Huge nose, mask needed for it
I have tried several masks over the years and stopped using the autosv machine because I could never get a mask to fit right around my huge nose...They always leak right around the bridge of my nose to loud farting noises....I am on high pressure, live around the 22-25 range but can be at the extreme limit of my machine most the night...I have the mirage quattro and fx masks and I like the fx the best but it will leak with those farting noises and even wake my partner when I get to the high pressure times.  I tried one of those thick clear sticky noses pieces and then put the mask on but left leaks farther down on my cheeks...I started to use the machine again as my new girlfriend was complaining about my snoring, so off to the doctor I went and he sent in an order to a new dme as I am on medicare now and they are horrible....The doctor wanted me to try the new dream full face but of course they didn't have that mask and he said with my higher pressures it wouldn't work.  He gave me an airfit F20 and I like the mask and I got it to seal by tighting the top straps to there max adjustement but its so tight on my bridge of my nose that it leaves red marks all the next day and it hurts all day.  I have tried using two different kids of those cloth covers (snugz) to try and help and they make it much cooler and more comfy at night but didn't help the nose issues...

I am wondering if the Mirage fx wouldn't work with one of these covers to quiet the farting noises?
Is there any other large nose people out there that are having good luck with a full face with high pressures?  What are you using?
I have had the f20 for 3 weeks now and am getting close to the free exchange time limit so I am wanting something to help me...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Huge nose, mask needed for it
Tight straps are not the way to get a mask to seal. The mask must be allowed to inflate and properly seal. Mask liners can help seal trouble spots. If you tolerate nasal therapy, we have several users on high pressure that have successfully used nasal pillow masks like the Airfit p10. These seal to the outside of the nares under your nose, and facial features do not affect the seal.

I assume the high pressure is during IPAP (inhale), and that you use a lower EPAP (exhale) pressure. The BiPAP Auto SV works to treat central apnea by using variable pressure support. It sounds like you have a fairly stubborn obstructive apnea, with a complex apnea component.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you use a nasal mask? if so Try the Mirage Activa. You will know real quick if it will work. I used it at 19 on a CPAP for years with no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could check the Mirage Liberty Hybrid mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I so wish I could use a nasal... But I have had allergies my whole life so I pretty much breath through my mouth all the time.... So full face or a mask that allows mouth breathing is needed
Post Reply Post Reply
Ya I have lower pressures on exhale.... 

I have tried loose straps and have slowly tighted to get a seal.... Anything less then this tight straps I get big leaks... Either the pressure of the machine or me overpowering the machine the mask lifts off the face and flutters with lots of noise... I have followed the directions of the masks, people online, sleep therapist, and everyone and this is only way I can get the mask to seal during the night....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hybrid is the way to go. That's the modern evolution of full-face. snorybob recommended Mirage Liberty. I suggest also looking at the Amara View from Philips Respironics. Take a look at the photos of both of those on the manufacturers' web sites, and read the advertising blurbs, and maybe even download & read PDFs of the user's guide for each one, if available. For each one, looking at the photos, can you see yourself wearing that mask comfortably?

https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/mask...rview.html

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...berty.html
Post Reply Post Reply
You want to see how the Amara View looks,  just check out my Avatar
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2019, 04:22 PM)bonjour Wrote: You want to see how the Amara View looks,  just check out my Avatar

Fred, you're going to have to increase your modeling royalties.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2019, 04:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 04:22 PM)bonjour Wrote: You want to see how the Amara View looks,  just check out my Avatar

Fred, you're going to have to increase your modeling royalties.

I promise that I'll plug every penny I make into OSCAR
Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.