Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidity set to full
RE: Dry mouth despite humidity set to full
(01-25-2022, 06:05 PM)DaveL Wrote: How long have you been using cpap?  Is this something new?

I find that things happen....I never used to mouth breath. Then I started once in a while.  And then a lot more. It wasn't fun.  My story isn't important. But yours is.  I bet with a little bit more information from you you'll get answers that make a huge difference.

I'm in the Toronto area. We've had some cold. Where about are you?

Dave

Yeah, I'm not too far from you, I'm in the Ottawa area. This has only been a problem since the temperatures plummeted here during this entire month of January. We've been seeing as low as -30C on some nights. This has been a new development, it wasn't happening in December when it was much warmer here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2022, 02:31 AM)zellem Wrote: Have you try to switch to fixed humidification?

No, usually keep it at the auto-compensate mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2022, 06:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Take note if you could be mouth breathing.  This alone will leave you with a very dry "cotton mouth" feeling.

It's possible it could be mouth breathing, but I find that if I start mouth breathing I wake myself up, due to the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2022, 12:08 PM)mesenteria Wrote: It must be mouth breathing.  

You have the humidity as high as it can go, but that seems to be insufficient.  The machine's design is such that it can heavily humidify the air if needs be.  This suggests that your way of sleeping has changed, or is changing.  It happens to many of us who dial in our PAP treatment at which we begin to sleep better, or in a way we haven't for many years.  I believe that this is the case here.

You'll need a cervical collar, which may help, or a chin strap, or you'll have to learn how to accept tape over your mouth.  Even users of full coverage masks report that they get dry mouth because their mouths still lose tone while they sleep and the lips part.  Air still rushes into and out of the mouth, which causes drying.

Interesting. I'll look into it, but I don't think I've begun mouth breathing because that usually wakes me up when I hear the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2022, 07:13 PM)Gooserider Wrote: I use a full face  mask, and know that I breathe through my mouth at least some of the time because my nose tends to really clog up so I have to...
I have my Resmed machine set to auto on the hose heat and humidity, and find that I go through a gallon of distilled water about every two - three weeks.  I haven't looked at the machine data in quite a while (and am now having an issue w/ the latest OSCAR - see thread in software support...)
I have a major problem w/ dry / cotton mouth to the point where it often wakes me up...  I'll even have trouble working up enough saliva to deal with it.  Definitely an annoying problem...
ex-Gooserider

In this weather, I usually use up the entire reservoir of 1 cup of water in an 8-hour night, and then I'd have to refill it if I want to sleep in some more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 05:43 PM)I find the amount of water I use varies, (so does how long I sleep on any given night because of when I go to bed and have to get up) but I fairly often find the chamber is dry or nearly so...  How much I fill the chamber varies a bit as well since I have it sitting on the mattress to fill, and that puts it at different angles so changes how much water I can put in it w/o spilling...  However the cotton-mouth issue doesn\t seem to vary much regardless of whether I have water left in the chamber or not.One thing I have noticed is that even though I have a heated hose, I've never noticed it being any warmer when using the CPAP than it is when I'm not...  Should it be noticeably warmer?ex-Gooserider bbbl67 Wrote: In this weather, I usually use up the entire reservoir of 1 cup of water in an 8-hour night, and then I'd have to refill it if I want to sleep in some more.
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having tried all the tricks and tips without success, I find that a sugar-free cough drop seems to help me produce enough saliva to overcome the dry mouth. They are inexpensive if bought in bags of 100+ drops and will not cause tooth decay.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.