Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidification Issue With Air Mini
Humidification Issue With Air Mini
I've been using a Dreamstation or other Cpap successfully for about 20 years.  Recently I decided to get an AirMini for travel.  I used it the first time last night.  The noise didn't really bother me much and I fell asleep quickly.  Problem is I awoke after about an hour and a half with a very dry mouth and nose.  My nose was so dry that I couldn't sleep with it, and had to go back to my Dreamstation.  I used the HumidX filter.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I love the size of this machine, but I won't be able to use it if I can't solve this.  

Would I have better luck with a DreamStation Go and a universal HME? I don't want to get the humidifier because the total size is not much smaller than the full Dreamstation which I travel with now.  At least, thats my impression.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidification Issue With Air Mini
Did you get both the regular HumidX filters and the HumidX Plus filters with the AirMini? My experience has been that the Plus filters (the grey ones) give noticably more humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response.  In fact, I had a Plus filer and I tried it the other night, and it worked fine.  So you are correct.  I have no issues any more.

Its a great little machine

Thanks

Ira
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that the "plus" helped you, I had the same issue.  I could not use the p10 nasal pillows, it would make my nose SO dry, I would sneeze all day. What I did was add a few drops of distilled water to the humidx capsule to jumpstart the humidity and use the N20 nasal mask, that made a big difference and now can sleep all night with the Airmini.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting idea to add a few drops of water.  Maybe ill try that next time.  Right now, I'm batting 1 for 2 with the mini.  I used it on one trip and it was fine.  I used it on another trip, and had dry nose again after about 2 hours.  Its possible that the air was drier in the second location but it was near the water, so I doubt it.  Not sure what happening.  Because of covid I have not been traveling much, so its not pressing now, but will be at some point.  Ill try the water next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased an air mini several years ago. I find it to be a game changer for me. Yes, it is more noisy. But I need the humidification, and the air mini provides this in a smallish package that doesn't need extra power (read "extra battery", when AC power not available). I have found that the "regular" humidX cartridge was not sufficient for desert use. Had an awful night this fall in the Moab area. And I like the idea of using a few drops of water to jump start the "Plus" cartridge. I'll try that.

Since starting CPAP over 5 yrs ago, I have mourned not being able to do river trips. I found that the power consumption of the air mini was low enough that I could cobble together a solar charging setup to charge a smallish battery for a 10 day canoe trip. Happy camper :-).
Post Reply Post Reply
I had always used the humidifier on my Dreamstation as I just thought I needed it, and it worked well for me.   I was using a full face mask at the time as I was worried about opening my mouth and getting a leak.  

I had an interesting discovery on a few fronts with my first trip with my AirMini.   I tried the N20 nasal mask for the first time as I couldn't get humidification cartridges with the full face mask for the Airmini.  I found that couldn't use any of the humidification cartridges that I brought with me to try.   I finally decided just to pull them out completely and everything was okay.  I found that I really liked the nasal mask without the humidification cartridge.   I ended up not using the humidification cartridges for the next three nights.   When I came home, I pulled the humidifier off my Dreamstation and dug up one of the nasal masks that I brought home with the CPAP machine a few years earlier and that also worked great.   I consider myself lucky as it took me a few years to learn that I did better with no humidification and a nasal mask.    Life got a lot easier!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do I need to add a few drops of distilled water to the humidx capsule every night to jumpstart the humidity?
Post Reply Post Reply
i just got a new air mini for travel.  i'm delighted with the size/weight and they compensate for the increase in noise.  however, i've had severe runny nose/allergic issues.  i finally narrowed the cause down to the humidx capsule.  i tried both types for a month each.  same problem.  went back to my old machine and humidifier (intellipap) and no issues.

i haven't yet tried the airmini without the humidx capsules as it's winter and indoor humidity is less than 20-25%. 

are any other users experiencing an allergic reaction to the humidx capsules?  is there a solution?

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cmkeur! - Welcome
While it defeats the purpose of the AirMini for travel, there is a standalone humidifier by F&P. It is the HC150 Heated Humidifier. After looking at it, I think a regular sized CPAP would ultimately be smaller.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 101 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 654 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.