Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier
Question 
Humidifier
I've been using a CPAP machine for about 15 years.  About 10 years ago I stopped using the humidifier, based on the suggestion of another patient in an Apnea support group we had here for awhile.  Most of us are perfectly comfortable breathing ambient air, so what's the point of the humidifier?  Maybe it's a good thing in overheated hotel rooms during the Northern winter, but I live in Southern California.  I don't understand why the humidifier is thought important.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier
G'day johnedoner. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The humidifier is really a comfort feature. Most people find that non-humidified air (under pressure) dries the nasal passages and can cause dry throat or congestion. If you find that you don't need a humidifier that's fine - don't use it. It's one less complication for you to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
For my first 20 years of CPAP i never had or used a humidifier, and I couldn't understand why one was desirable. Fortunately for me, I got a new doctor in 2006, and he insisted that I get a humidifier kit for my old Respironics machine. Immediately, I was more comfortable, had much less nasal congestion and just felt better. But I recognize that humidifier use is a personal choice and not everyone will respond as well as I have. However, I will certainly never do without a humidifier on my machine. I currently use a DeVilbiss straight CPAP with the humidifier tray beneath the machine.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the humidifier to be somewhat important with a pillow mask. With a full face mask, even though I am still only breathing through my nose, there is just enough rebreathing to provide some humidity. Plus, there’s less blast directly onto the nasal membranes. I’m still using the humidifier on the lowest adaptive setting, but that’s just for comfort, and I don’t really miss it with it off. I probably won’t ever bother with the humidifier for travel unless it’s in the dead of winter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 322 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 788 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 517 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.