Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
RE: Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
(07-29-2015, 04:21 PM)jingo Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 08:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 07:43 PM)jingo Wrote: .........The reason distilled water can pull minerals from your body is it is acidic/ low ph. Your body must maintain the ph balance of your blood at all costs so if you drink large quantities of soda pop, much lower ph than distilled water, your body will pull minerals from your bones.

The tiny amount of distilled water you breath in is quit low compared to one coca cola.

Highly purified water (whether by distillation or reverse osmosis) is exactly neutral. After exposure to air for a period of time it will dissolve some of the CO2 from the air and become *slightly* acidic.

I would like to see some reference that shows that carbonated drinks decalcify one's bones. If the acid from carbonated drinks cause decalcification what does the stronger acid that is native to your stomach do?

Bewst Regards,

PaytonA

google osteoporosis and coca cola, youll be snowed under. if you drink ph less than 3 phosphoric acid(coca cola) in enough quantity for enough time you will leach the minerals right out of your bones.

What I was referring to concerning pH and loss of minerals from bones was your general statement concerning soda pop. Coca Cola may well be a special case but it is not because of its pH but because of some of the special properties of phosphoric acid.

(07-28-2015, 07:43 PM)jingo Wrote: your stomach acid is meant for your stomach and no other portion of your body.

Where do you think that the weak acid that you drink in carbonated beverages goes.

(07-28-2015, 07:43 PM)jingo Wrote: ps: the most pure distilled water is type 1, and according to the national institute of health, they tested type 1 water at 5.4 ph. ph is measure of alkalinity vs acid most water born minerals are alkaline in nature, thats why in hard water areas we use acidic cleansers and why you clean mineral residue with vinegar.

First, which of the 4 specifications for type 1 water are you referring to. Second, I have taken 6000 megohm water (admittedly not the absolute purest but what is required for inorganic analytical labs) poured it into a beaker and put a pH electrode into it hooked up to a high quality pH meter. I have seen the pH start out at 6.98 and watched it drop due to the water picking up CO2 from the air.

Hard water is caused by calcium carbonate. The other minerals in water are not necessarily alkaline

(07-28-2015, 07:43 PM)jingo Wrote: of course if you really want to see the research run your searches on pubmed, it will take a while but youll find all you want.

In other words you do not have the time to support your assertions.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a cpap machine since March 1996. Until a few months ago (when I started using bottled purified water) I filled from the tap in various locations in Australia as well as Canada.

and I'm still here

Some of the wankeurs in here probably drink organic kale soy lattes and eat quinoa bread thinking they won't get cancer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lab rat,

Why did you start using bottled, purified water?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2015, 10:57 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Lab rat,

Why did you start using bottled, purified water?

Probably just availability or cost. The amount of minerals in reverse osmosis treated water is pretty small, while distilled is zero. It's the same price at my grocery store, but also more easily available than distilled in many rural areas.

I haven't kept up on the latest claims for chronic pop drinkers. I thought the problems with earlier claims was that the chronic pop drinkers ALSO had little dairy or other high calcium products in their diets over decades.

There is no question that drinking a lot of pop can cause teeth damage and carbonation can worsen kidney damage (they knew this in the early 80s). It also contributes to developing diabetes. But bone leaching? Not sure how that would work. Do they have the same data for people who chronically eat pickled items? I have family members who eat pickled items daily, their bone density is better than people their age.
Post Reply Post Reply
It comes in 5 litre casks ie cardboard box with silver plastic inner bag and pouring spout.

I just pull.out the A10 humidifier onto the bedside table, flip up the lid and hold the cask over it pressing down on the dispenser tap.

I changed from tap water because it was recommended by resmed to prolong life of humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to stop after work and pick up distilled water, first night with cpap is tonight and they do recommend distilled
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2015, 04:31 PM)jingo Wrote: My wife had a bone marrow transplant for lukemia and she uses a cpap. Her doctors told us of their patients getting parasites etc through their cpaps. We also run filters on our showers to avoid just such an occurence.

I'd be really interested in what kind of parasite you can get from using drinking water in your CPAP or shower, but not get from drinking the same water.

Maybe he's thinking about Nagleria. However, you get that from "dirty" water and nasal irrigation or swimming, not from showering or CPAP. Even then, there have been less than half a dozen cases of Naegleria from municipal tap water in the US in the past 30 years or so.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 07:57 PM)archangle Wrote:
(07-29-2015, 04:31 PM)jingo Wrote: My wife had a bone marrow transplant for lukemia and she uses a cpap. Her doctors told us of their patients getting parasites etc through their cpaps. We also run filters on our showers to avoid just such an occurence.

I'd be really interested in what kind of parasite you can get from using drinking water in your CPAP or shower, but not get from drinking the same water.

Maybe he's thinking about Nagleria. However, you get that from "dirty" water and nasal irrigation or swimming, not from showering or CPAP. Even then, there have been less than half a dozen cases of Naegleria from municipal tap water in the US in the past 30 years or so.

Jingo's wife is at particular risk being immunocompromised, which is why distilled would be much safer. Presumably, they would use reverse osmosis water for her drinking or cooking water or the shower gizmo was a waste. Milwaukee's water contamination in the 90s can happen anywhere. Note: I think bacteria is more of an issue than a parasite.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.