Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Airsense 10 uses very little water
Humidifier Airsense 10 uses very little water
New cpap user (one month) , Airsense 10 CPAP .

I'm having some dry mouth issues which I know are very common . I have the humidfier set to 7 (high) but notice very modest water use.

The lines on the side of the tank are about 1/4 inch apart, and after 5 hours it doesn't drop even 1 lines worth. Maybe 1/2 that ??

I also checked the temp on the heating plate, and I'd call in warm, but not very.

I checked with Resmed , but they didn't give me a straight answer.

Does it sound possible that its working properly and using that little water? I'm using tap water, as I'm in NY and the water is soft, don't really think I need distilled, but I mention it in case that's a factor, or someone has another opinion about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Airsense 10 uses very little water
I just finished using a loaner ResMed AS10 Autoset that would take about three nights to go through a full reservoir at my low setting of 2.  New AS10 Elite goes through almost three times as much on a setting of only 3.  I can't tell you what the difference is, but if my new setting were 6 instead of the 3, I would buy it.

No amount of moistened air will help dry mouth, especially if you are breathing with an open mouth at any time during treatment.  As I do.  I have to tape my mouth shut...I simply cannot use a nose mask and sleep keeping my lips toned enough to keep that unwanted gale from blasting out of them.  Perhaps you need the chin strap, or you could try tape if you can't master the tongue-to-palate trick while you sleep.  3M makes a nice water resistant tape called NexCare, about an inch wide.  I use it.  Available at most drug stores.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jdavis01,,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your heating plate has failed. At 7, you should be using a heck of a lot more water. Contact your DME and ask for a replacement machine. For a brand new machine to not be heating the plate, it could be a simple thing as a wire wasn't properly connected or came loose in transit. But most DMEs today do not have the authority to make actual repairs.

The water isn't an issue since you have soft water. If you get a lot of mineralization on the plate, that will reduce the effectiveness of the humidifier. But not like you are experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heating plate in the humidifier gets quite warm to touch. After 5 minutes,  turn off machine and pull out humidifier and check temperature.
Also, try unplugging the machine for 10 minutes to cause a reset. On my ResMed S9 that fixed an issue where the hose was not warming up. Ugh, Electronics.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize that if my mouth is opening while in deep sleep (REM) then the humidfier is not going to help at all.

It may also not be working properly , will have to pursue that line of investigation.

I ordered a full face mask and chin strap, but there's an absurd delay between getting insurance to ok it , and delivery.

I'm aware of the mouth taping technique, and have experimented with it using band aids. Will try the NexCare tape 'mesenteria' recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be good to fill in the information in your user profile so that the gurus will know which equipment you are using.

It is my impression (and I could easily be wrong - I'm no guru) that an open mouth would be more likely to cause the humidifier to empty faster.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree because the two factors that determine evaporation are molecular density above the evaporative surface and the vapor pressure at the surface (we'll call the surface area, another factor, limited in the humidifier reservoir and ignore it).  Heat increases the vapor pressure of water, and large volumes of air over the water reduce the molecular density.  An open mouth allows larger volumes of air to be drawn over the water, down the tube, and out the mouth.  Ask me how I know.  No, really, go ahead..... Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Eat-popcorn 

I'll bite. How do you know? (very interesting explanation, btw)
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to learn the hard way that, if I use a nose mask, I will have trouble with my open mouth.  The very first night on CPAP, I was startled back up out of the sleep well into which I was falling by my mouth allowing a torrent of air to blow out of it.  This repeated endlessly.  The next day, I called first thing and informed the tech that I wanted a full face mask.  That's when she explained, maybe for the second time (ahem!), that there is most often poor compliance or less desirable therapeutic benefit with the fuller masks as a general rule.  She urged me to keep at it, and to use the tongue-to-palate technique which I knew intuitively would never be fully satisfactory for me...as I sleep.  I told her there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in a microwave of me ever learning to sleep with one eye open or with my lips retaining tone while I am slipping into sleep.  Long story short, she informed me of taping or the use of a chin strap.  I have taped ever since, and have attempted to go without to no avail.  As Popeye would say, "I yam whatIyam."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 97 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 93 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,816 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.