RE: Humidifier (An Imortant Question)
Mmmm, a good post there Archangle.
I think water purity reports should be in the public domain, I would be very interested if anybody has obtained one?
It seems 'Passover' Humidifiers have such small water particles that reach your Airways/Lungs, it would be 'impossible' to carry a virus or bacteria as these are much bigger than the 'Tiny' water particles, as for whether anything else could be 'Carried' by the Air rather than the water droplets, particually in a 'Leak' type scenario maybe another matter?
I don't want to scare anybody, BUT......
There are over 200 different chemicals found in today’s public water supply and many of them have been linked to disease or illness by medical studies.
Chlorine and Fluoride
People will be familiar with chlorine and fluoride which are added to our water during its treatment to disinfect and kill bacteria but chlorine and fluoride have nasty properties of there own which people may not be so aware of. Chlorine is used in industry as a bleach and can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, nose and mouth, as well as allergic reactions and damage to the respiration system. Fluoride has been linked to Skeletal fluorosis, increased risk of Alzheimer’s and depression of the thyroid gland, a common cause of obesity. Worryingly fluoride has even been associated with low IQ, mental retardation and learning difficulties in children.
Lead was regularly used in pipes, solder and fittings before its harmful effects where fully understood. Many of these pipes are still in use meaning that we our exposed to this harmful substance on a daily basis. Lead is toxic and has a cumulative effect meaning that it builds up over years and can cause serious health problems in later life. It can cause memory problems, damage to the kidneys, brain and central nervous system and reproductive problems in both men and women.
Lead has also been linked to premature birth, reduced birth weight and learning difficulties in children. Lead is most easily absorbed by growing tissue meaning that infants, children, pregnant women and unborn babies are even more venerable to lead poisoning than others.
Benzene is used in petrol and is released into the air through exhaust fumes and is also used in the making of plastic, rubber and synthetic fabrics. Its finds it way into the water systems through air pollution and ground contamination. Benzene is a cancer carcinogen and has been linked to causing cancer of the heart, lungs, liver and brain along with irritation of the stomach, dizziness and convulsions.
Benzene also causes damage to red blood cells, decreasing their number, which can lead to anaemia, bone marrow disease, depression of the immune system and increased risk of infection.
Bromate is formed when ozone used for disinfecting water reacts with bromide which is a naturally occurring element. Bromate targets the kidney so people with existing kidney problems are especially at risk. Can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhoea. Over the long term bromate can lead to nervous system damage, hearing loss and kidney defects.
Copper is released into our water from the erosion of pipes. In small doses it can cause irritation of the eyes, nose and mouth, headaches, dizziness, vomiting and diarrhoea. Long term exposure can lead to liver and kidney damage.
Arsenic, causes skin damage and has been linked to cancer of the lungs, skin, bladder and kidneys.
Cyanide, respiratory, heart and central nervous system most at risk, prevents cells from using oxygen causing them to die.
Mercury, disruption of brain functions, learning problems, deafness, memory loss, sperm damage, birth defects and miscarriages.
Pesticides, Ontological cancer, inborn deformities and immune system deficiencies.
Nitrates, birth defects and increased risk of cancer. People with heart, lung disease or cancer are more susceptible to nitrates toxic effects.
Obviously not the full list but serious food for thought all the same, I believe the situation may even be worse in the USA.
Even if water was 100% to start with it sure isn't when it reaches your tap, hopefully it won't have sufficient contaminants to make you ill.
You can rest assured that there are some very clever people who decide for us what is safe and what is not and don't worry us with the risks we are taking just having a drink, not to mention the few who blow the stuff up their noses, no sleep for me tonight?