Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggle with Full Face Masks...
Question 
Struggle with Full Face Masks...
Hello,

I'm fighting against fatigue for 5 years now and I'm still looking for a solution. I've red so many pages on the web/forums but still no solution found...so I thank you in advance for the help.

The only mask I can stand while sleeping is the nasal pillows (Dreamwear). But I'm a mouth breather and I'm not sure these masks works well for me... I succeeded to have almost zero leaks with it, and I guess it's linked to the surgery of my turbinates six months ago. The problem is that I generally sleeps only 4h with it maximum. 

2 or 3 monthes ago, I spent few nights with a F&P full face mask and I felt a real improvement ! Unfortunately, it's very hard for me to sleep with this kind of mask... I'm a bit of anxious guy, who takes deep breathes sometimes, etc. and it's really hard to sleep with that on my face. Nasal pillows are ok for me, but FFM or nasal masks makes my nose swollen! Am I the only one ?? The humidity in these masks seems to give me some trouble.

I tried to do that again last nights, but my turbinates are swelling as soon as I try to breath with this FFM. 

I also have the full face version of the Dreamwear, but the few times I tried it, it was leaking a lot...but maybe I should give it another try!!

Anyway, the cpap technician is coming tomorrow to bring me an Evora Mask, and I have big hope that I could sleep with it and get some good nights...

My question is: do you think it's possible to have only good nights with a sort of mask ?? Even if number and graphics in Oscar are good ???

I always heard to be patient, therapy can take a long time, etc etc... I can't really trust that anymore because I really felt better when I had success with FFM!

Thank you very much if you can enlighten me, can't wait to read your thoughts on this!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggle with Full Face Masks...
It is counterintuitive, but a FFM actually needs to sit lightly against the face rather than tight.. the way they work is that they "inflate" to form a contoured seal against the skin once the machine is running.

I'm also one who takes an intermittent deep breath (most people do, they just don't normally notice because they aren't wearing a CPAP mask).. the FFM doesn't restrict the ability to get a good lungful of air, even though psychologically it may seem that way.

For a FFM I found a firm, broad flat pillow to be the best, being a side sleeper the contoured and softer pillow options tended to dislodge the mask from my face during sleep, this often resulted in higher leak numbers as well.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 42 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.