Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Chamber cleaning
RE: Humidifier Chamber cleaning
I read somewhere that it takes mold about 48 hours to form. That's under optimal conditions. So figure if you wash your tub every 3rd day you should never have to worry. I usually just use a squirt of dawn dish soap and hot water.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you never put water in the A10's humidifer, you can replace the tank with Resmed's optional side cover, which retails for $15 to $20 and can be found via a web search for airsense side cover although it shouldn't make much difference. There is one thing, though: if you have the tank installed, then the heater settings are enabled in the controls, and if you turn the heat on with an empty tank you'll scorch the bottom of the tank. But if that happens, you'll smell it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2018, 04:20 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I read somewhere that it takes mold about 48 hours to form. That's under optimal conditions. So figure if you wash your tub every 3rd day you should never have to worry. I usually just use a squirt of dawn dish soap and hot water.

That is exactly what I do, except it's probably every 33rd day. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I empty the chamber of left over distilled water daily, use Dawn one week and then rotate to Dawn and White Vinegar the next week. When I clean it I completely take it apart. Let it soak for about 30 minutes. Seems to work for me. I like to err on the side of caution and would much rather over clean than under clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more thought on cleaning CPAP stuff in general. Sometimes CPAP cleanliness is compared to breathing the air in a room. But, I think it is different with CPAP because what is blowing into your lungs is coming at you in a concentrated way and this cannot be comparable to normal breathing. That is why I think it is very important to keep this equipment clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 10:19 AM)1holegrouper Wrote: One more thought on cleaning CPAP stuff in general. Sometimes CPAP cleanliness is compared to breathing the air in a room. But, I think it is different with CPAP because what is blowing into your lungs is coming at you in a concentrated way and this cannot be comparable to normal breathing. That is why I think it is very important to keep this equipment clean.

IF that is the case, you'd be better off treating your room air.  The filter in your machine is almost for looks, not for any real effect.  Sure, it will keep bugs and errant feathers from your comforter or pillow out, and airborne dandelion seeds that make their way into your room and up against the intake of your machine.  It won't be retaining spores, for example, although the HEP type would be markedly better than the regular fiber one.

You're breathing air deeply that is essentially untreated while you have your mask in place.  Keeping the machine 'clean' would be the least of your worries if you are correct about 'concentrated way'; I'd be more worried about the air it's passing through to me in all that volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated humidifier is only designed to raise the temps a couple of degrees, not make the water HOT. I would be interested in history of scorching the tank. I kind of doubt it would ever get that warm.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 02:04 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The heated humidifier is only designed to raise the temps a couple of degrees, not make the water HOT.  I would be interested in history of scorching the tank.  I kind of doubt it would ever get that warm.

confirmed it won't keep java warm Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 02:04 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The heated humidifier is only designed to raise the temps a couple of degrees, not make the water HOT.  I would be interested in history of scorching the tank.  I kind of doubt it would ever get that warm.

I agree! The water doesn't get that hot. Nor does the heating plate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hasn't happened to me, have seen it mentioned in other threads here on AB, but "a couple of degrees" is somewhat of an understatement. Resmed's A10 manual says:

Maximum heater plate: 154°F (68°C)
Cut-out: 165°F (74°C)
Maximum gas temperature: ≤ 106°F (≤ 41°C)

So the heater plate without water will in fact cook itself and its immediate surroundings. Enough to start a fire? I doubt it. Enough so you can smell it? Sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.