Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Chamber cleaning
Humidifier Chamber cleaning
Does anyone have recommendations for how to clean humidifier chambers?  I have the Resmed System One humidifier, and the water chamber has tons of nooks with sharp corners that are impossible for me to get into.   I've tried using q-tips, rags, etc, but still can't get into the corners and tight nooks.

I've used the dishwasher several times to clean it, and it works well, but I'm not sure dishwashing detergent is good for the chamber.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Chamber cleaning
are you taking the lid off?

push on the tab that extends down into the tank from the middle circle opening to release the top.

It is dishwasher safe...
Post Reply Post Reply
You wont have much trouble with cleaning if you are using distilled water.

I wash my chamber once a week with Dawn liquid soap, sometimes adding white vinegar. Let soak, rinse well and let air dry.
Using rags or QTips could leave lint in the chamber.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dishwashing soap and warm water is best. I absolutely do not recommend using your dishwashing machine. There have been too many cases of leaking water reservoirs for me to ever place my own water reservoir in the dishwasher. There have been numerous cases of people being overly zealous with their cleaning and damaging various pieces of their equipment. Unless you have a severely compromised immune system, soap and water is all you need occasionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water for humidification.  I do take the lid off and I use soap and water to clean.    I am, however, not very consistent with cleaning (I know, I'm lazy, and that won't change no matter how hard I want it to or how often I'm reminded of such), so when I do clean the chamber every month or so, it is usually grimy/slimy inside.

But getting into the corners of the chamber and all the vertical supports in the interior, proves difficult.  (See image if I'm not describing it correctly.)  If the chamber were smooth throughout the interior, without all the supports and crevices, it would be a no-brainer, like cleaning a bowl or cup.  But all the extra crap inside the chamber makes getting all surfaces clean nearly impossible for me.

Dishwasher works because it uses water jets to hit all surfaces 'hard' and has no issues with the crevices.  But, like stated, I'm not sure it's necessarily safe for the chamber.  Hence me asking for recommendations to get into the crevices.

Thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water only and if there's any left from the night before, it gets dumped out. I then take a piece of tissue and wipe it dry. 

I then let it sit out and air dry some more. About once a month, it gets a good soaking in hot water with Dawn detergent. Of all the pieces that need cleaning (hose, mask, reservoir), it requires the least amount of attention.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2018, 01:21 PM)FlynHokie Wrote: I use distilled water for humidification.  I do take the lid off and I use soap and water to clean.    I am, however, not very consistent with cleaning (I know, I'm lazy, and that won't change no matter how hard I want it to or how often I'm reminded of such), so when I do clean the chamber every month or so, it is usually grimy/slimy inside.

But getting into the corners of the chamber and all the vertical supports in the interior, proves difficult.  (See image if I'm not describing it correctly.)  If the chamber were smooth throughout the interior, without all the supports and crevices, it would be a no-brainer, like cleaning a bowl or cup.  But all the extra crap inside the chamber makes getting all surfaces clean nearly impossible for me.

Dishwasher works because it uses water jets to hit all surfaces 'hard' and has no issues with the crevices.  But, like stated, I'm not sure it's necessarily safe for the chamber.  Hence me asking for recommendations to get into the crevices.

Thoughts?

I use the exact same system....see my response above.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not ask the manufacturer?

https://www.sleepapnea.com/documents/Sys...Manual.pdf

Quote:Cleaning Instructions: Water Tank
Hand washing can be performed daily. Dishwashing can be performed once a week.
4. Wash the parts of the tank in the dishwasher (top shelf only) or in a solution of warm water and a mild liquid dishwashing detergent. Gently wash the middle seal. Rinse the parts with clean water. Wipe the parts completely on the top and bottom. Allow them to air dry.
CAUTION: Use a mild liquid dishwashing detergent only for either hand washing or when using a dishwasher.
WARNING: Empty and clean the water tank daily to prevent mold and bacteria growth. Wipe the seal
completely.

Edited to add: There's also a section after that for "Hospital and Institution Disinfection: Water Tank" for anyone who's interested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile

I clean my humidifier tub, mask parts, and heated hose...sometimes.

I can definitely state that it's always washed on a day that ends in Y. And always with Dawn and very warm water. How often? Depends. Maybe monthly-ish. OR maybe not. And I DO NOT dump the water out after each use!

Coffee  Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2018, 03:01 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
Smile

I clean my humidifier tub, mask parts, and heated hose...sometimes.

I can definitely state that it's always washed on a day that ends in Y. And always with Dawn and very warm water. How often? Depends. Maybe monthly-ish. OR maybe not. And I DO NOT dump the water out after each use!

Coffee  Coffee

Same routine for me Dave. 
I have never understood the need to empty the reservoir daily OR why the need to let it "air dry" after cleaning, only to fill it with water again.
Been doing it this way for many years and it hasn't killed me yet.  Rolleyes
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,798 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.