Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: resmen
Humidifier: renstarplus c/flex
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Humidifier Failure solution for Old Style RemStarPlus CFlex
Well it's a little late in the game to make a discovery but I made one and want to share it. I am still using the subject CPAP. I have purchased 3 or 4 humidifier tanks for it over the 10 years I've had it. But I just now figured out what was happening with the tanks. They are clear plastic on the upper body and the bottom is aluminum which is coated with a plastic-like material on the inside. What happens is that they develop all kinds of metal damage of little nodules, pin hole leaks, etc. over time. Here's what's taking place: The "warming plate" which the tank sits on is a mild grade stainless steel. So you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other, and the problem (electrolytic corrosion) is compounded with heat and water. A battery effect is created and electrolytic corrosion occurs. Like on the hot water heater in an older house that has galvanized pipe and is connected to the water heater that has copper fittings. You put a "spacer" with a plastic insert in it between the galvanized pipe and the copper fittings. This separates the two dissimilar metals and slows down the electrolytic corrosion. So when this notion finally went through my head I thought "how can I successfully separate the two dissimilar metals on the CPAP humidifier and still allow the warmer to heat the water?" Voila, I decided to try parchment made for baking applications at home, good old baking parchment paper. Problem solved. No more scale from corrosion, pin hole leaks, aluminum oxide nodules building up and creating leakage, etc. The water tank is as pristine as the day I bought the current tank last year. I cut a piece (of the paper) out about an inch bigger than the tank perimeter and hold it in place while pushing it in the warmer. Easy to do and works like a charm. This is a common problem in many industries. Aluminum is a great heat transfer metal and is easy to work with. So it is often used for heat exchange purposes. You see it everywhere. But it is very reactive in the presence of more "noble" metals and corrodes when in contact with them. They don't always make this consideration when putting stuff together. The inventors etc. are completely focused on "making it work well", [/size][/font]and often overlook the long term fine points of things like 'electrolytic corrosion'. I noticed a new Remstar unit is now "steel on steel" and will not have this problem.
05-09-2016 11:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier Failure solution for Old Style RemStarPlus CFlex
G'day stevorino. Welcome to Apnea Board.

You must be a very intelligent person - I thought of baking paper as a solution just before I read it in your explanation. Wink

Seriously, that's a good tip for those with older machines.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-10-2016 04:34 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi stevorino,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thank you for the tip, much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
05-10-2016 03:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hmm888 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remstar Pro Legacy/AirSense 10
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: Respironics/Resmed
CPAP Pressure: -
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Interesting, when I tried this technique the paper got torn and all wrinkly that it didn't sit right.
05-14-2016 12:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 840 Today 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 413 Yesterday 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  HELP! machine died and need a quick solution!! Jamer in trouble 10 361 12-04-2016 07:27 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  failure to record 2nd part of night Beej 10 282 12-03-2016 02:08 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] Respironics blower failure SleepyinMTL 2 126 12-03-2016 12:52 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 513 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 393 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158