Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Issue
Humidifier Issue
Hello Fellows,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced humidity issues and can offer a solution. I am using the Philips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier with the setting on 5 and still waking up with dry mouth. There is condensation built up in the air outlet port which is an indication the humidifier is working. Some nights I will have used all the water in the reservoir and other nights very little water was used. Either way I'm still experiencing dry mouth. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Issue
I have the same system and have the same issue. I finally settled on setting 3 so I never run out of water but I still have dry mouth. I think in my case this is because I also have mild allergies and sometimes my nose stops up so I breath much of the night through my mouth. If I breath through my nose the dryness seems much less.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had dry mouth issues using my humidifier. I've stopped using it to see if that improves other issues I'm having, and my dry mouth has gone away.

That doesn't make any sense at all to me, but that's what's happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having too much humidity can cause the same "symptoms" as too little.

We are each so different from each other, not just in body type, but in the environment in which we live and sleep. Some can turn it all the way up and be just fine. Some don't bother even using it.

Some people need the humidifier to keep their nasal passages from drying out so they use a product like Biotene to keep their mouth moist.

Also check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if any of your medications can cause dry mouth.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2013, 05:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Having too much humidity can cause the same "symptoms" as too little.

This is interesting. I will change the setting to minimize the humidity to see if this helps. Thanks for the tip!

Post Reply Post Reply
You can go into the clinicians menu and turn off "System One Humidification". This turns off the "water saving" feature of the humidifier.

You will get more humidity out of the humidifier, but you might get water condensing in your hose. (rainout.)

The newer system one 60 series machines can use an optional heated hose. With that, you can run even more humidity without getting rainout.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always assumed this was a good way to tell if I was mouth-breathing. If I mouth-breathe (or hiss) I get a dry mouth, but if I am a good boy and keep my lips shut, no dry mouth. Changing my humidity only changes if my nose gets sore or not.

Do you know for *sure* you are not mouth-breathing?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Some good suggestions. I thought I needed humidity for sinus issues, but I stopped using the humidifier- took it off the machine- and have less problems. When I use a FFM I have more issues than with a nasal mask with a chin strap. The nasal passages warm and humidify air, but not the oropharynx.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now I have my humidifier set on zero and just let the air flow across the tank. I haven't had issues with dry mouth/sinuses. Now, in a month or so when we turn the heat back on in the house, I will bump it up.

Instead of disconnecting the humidifier entirely, this may also help.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may also consider lowering the temperature but keeping the humidity level where you want it. The heated air can also cause "dryness."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 104 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 663 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.