Machine: PR System One
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 9.0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier - Leave In Excess Water ?
Yet another slight variation - FWIW:

I use distilled water, top off the tank nightly, drain and wash the tank weekly. Went for almost a full year, and then found mold in the inside corners of my tank. (replaced that puppy real quick)

I have since been draining and drying it daily. But I am also wondering if perhaps the mold was because of a bad bottle of distilled water and I am seriously thinking to go back to my old routine.
01-22-2014 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
martinsr00 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics DS760TS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 8/12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(01-22-2014 04:30 PM)DocWils Wrote:  You WILL build up bacteria over time even in distilled water if you leave it sitting for a day or more . . .

You will build up bacteria, virus, and potentially other pathogens particularly because it is distilled water.

Distilled water is chemically very pure. Shortly after its distillation, it is probably very nearly pathogen free. Thereafter, it will take on pathogens from the environment.

City water is not as chemically pure. But it arrives at your house disinfected and with a chloramine residual that remains several days to inactivate pathogens.

To be safe, I dump my tanks every day, put them in soapy water while at work, then rinse them, fill them with water having minimal mineral content, and disinfect everything with an ozonator a few hours before use.

If you have a very robust immune system, this may be overkill. If not, it may be prudent.
01-22-2014 06:25 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

No, the mould was from not drying your tank regularly - unless you distil your own water and rigorously control it, you can never trust the purity of what you get, but either way, what you did was just plain unwise. As I said, even the purest distilled water will develop into a growth medium after a few days or sooner. So leaving the water in and topping up is not the best choice to take. It may work for you, but I would bet anyone who took a swab of the water or the tank after a week would find things that would shock you.
01-22-2014 06:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

Sex: Female

(01-22-2014 06:26 PM)DocWils Wrote:  No, the mould was from not drying your tank regularly - unless you distil your own water and rigorously control it, you can never trust the purity of what you get, but either way, what you did was just plain unwise. As I said, even the purest distilled water will develop into a growth medium after a few days or sooner. So leaving the water in and topping up is not the best choice to take. It may work for you, but I would bet anyone who took a swab of the water or the tank after a week would find things that would shock you.

Using distilled water is not to protect you so much as to protect the machine from minerals that build up. I would not use tap water in the machine especially if you have hard water. I would not top it off either because the bacteria will grow in unchlorinated water. Think legionnaires disease in air conditioners in hotels.
Also many people think their hose does not get bacterial or viral contamination. Our hoses are constantly exposed to bacteria and have a warm moist environment perfect for the growth of molds, bacteria and viruses.
01-22-2014 07:01 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

Just top it off. It sits in the bottle at the store longer than the time it takes to use it up.
01-25-2014 05:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-25-2014 05:01 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Just top it off. It sits in the bottle at the store longer than the time it takes to use it up.

the water that sits in the bottle in the store has not been cycled through a humidifier hose and it is recommended to dump the water and let the tank dry and refill it before using the cpap machine next.
01-25-2014 05:38 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-25-2014 05:38 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(01-25-2014 05:01 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Just top it off. It sits in the bottle at the store longer than the time it takes to use it up.

the water that sits in the bottle in the store has not been cycled through a humidifier hose and it is recommended to dump the water and let the tank dry and refill it before using the cpap machine next.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the pan heats up the water to get vapor nothing is cycled. Air blows over the top and picks up the vapor on its way to the mask. I guess I need to go read instructions again.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 06:16 PM by Bladskinner.)
01-25-2014 06:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-25-2014 06:15 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  
(01-25-2014 05:38 PM)me50 Wrote:  

Correct me if I'm wrong but the pan heats up the water to get vapor nothing is cycled. Air blows over the top and picks up the vapor on its way to the mask. I guess I need to go read instructions again.

if there is bacteria or nasty stuff in the water, it will get carried through the hose to the person connected to the other end of the hose. whatever is in the tub goes to the person on the other end of the mask and that is why the water level decreases with use (unless there is a problem with the humidifier). I just prefer not to take the chance of getting nasty stuff traveling through the hose, mask and into me.
01-25-2014 06:21 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

We'll it looks like I will be dumping the water from now on. And letting the tub dry out every day. Learn something new every day.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 11:25 PM by Bladskinner.)
01-26-2014 11:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GRak Offline

Members

Machine: F&P Icon Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Optilife
Humidifier: F&P Icon Auto
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 18 auto
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I too top off for about 3 nights, then empty and rinse with good hot water. About once a month, I soak it in 50/50 water and white vinegar.
01-30-2014 10:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 21 674 11-27-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: chill
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 5 608 11-12-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 479 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 381 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  [Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite Maggie 9 352 10-30-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: Maggie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 343 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 690 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas