Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Reservoir
Humidifier Reservoir
When I got my replacement water reservoir, I washed it. Hot water and mild soap, like always. As it dried, a bunch of white dots appeared on the clear plastic. they dont come off with a brush, and a cotton ball just smeared them. Anyone else ever seen such a thing?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Reservoir
(08-19-2015, 06:23 PM)DariaVader Wrote: When I got my replacement water reservoir, I washed it. Hot water and mild soap, like always. As it dried, a bunch of white dots appeared on the clear plastic. they dont come off with a brush, and a cotton ball just smeared them. Anyone else ever seen such a thing?

Hey, DariaVader. I use the same humidifier. I don't look at it that closely so never notices precisely what you describe. But I have noticed a buildup of salts from the water on the bottom of the water reservoir. It's harmless. We drink it all the time, no problem. Look at it closer. You may just me smearing water droplets around.
Post Reply Post Reply
no, it only got washed one time. Looks nothing like water spots and is only on the plastic top, not the metal bottom. my original humidifier has been washed over and over without anything like that. it looked like sprayed paint and was even down inside the seals in some spots. Except there was *nothing* being sprayed anywhere near it. The spots where I tried to scrape it off with my fingernail look like smeared gummy stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
not that it helps much but it sounds like it's leftover from the manufacturing process. It should not be there when you get the unit of course. not what you want to hear but if it's not water/soap removable then that means solvent would be required and I don't know what could be used without damage to the plastic.

Of course if it does not wash off you "should" be okay to use it, but if you still have your old one I would not use the new one and contact your supplier tomorrow. SCRATCH this is could float on top of the water and you do not want to put that in your lungs!

You might try some rubbing alcohol if you have some, that "should" be okay. Make sure you air it out A LOT before you use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah - that makes the most sense. maybe i just didn't notice it before washing. I did call them today for supplies - the woman who answered the phone said she would bump that to her supervisor and see if it's ok to send another. if it hadn't been in the seal, I would probably have used it - but I did not like that!

Post Reply Post Reply
DariaVader,
Since you don't really know what that substance is, probably not a good idea to use it.
It may be harmless, but I wouldn't want to inhale that into my lungs. eeew

Try to get it replaced.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The advice to use alcohol on a humidifier container is WRONG! Alcohol cracks acrylic and fogs polycarbonate. Do not get alcohol anywhere near that plastic.

Now Dawn dishwashing liquid is another matter. That I would use to strip any oils or dirt.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2015, 08:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The advice to use alcohol on a humidifier container is WRONG! Alcohol cracks acrylic and fogs polycarbonate. Do not get alcohol anywhere near that plastic.

Now Dawn dishwashing liquid is another matter. That I would use to strip any oils or dirt.

DariaVader,
I just saw a commercial for Dawn dishwashing liquid. They were using it to clean oils off of birds who were caught up in oil spills. The Dawn did a fine job and saved the birds. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possible hard water problem.
Do the Dawn bit and rinse well with tap water. Then rinse well with distilled water.

That usually gets it.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Those will resmed airsense10, is your humidifer discolored on bottom. I only use distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 449 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,197 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.