Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear ache
Ear ache
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this has been discussed before but what can I do to prevent the air pressure buildup in my ears? I've been using my Respronics System One for about 4 weeks. Pressure was set at 5 to 20. I just recently changed it to 7-17 and my ear aches (in both ears) started this week. I'm almost positive that it is from using the APAP. No previous ear issues. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear ache
My top two tips:
  1. Make sure you keep your nasal passages clear by using saline or saline + xylitol nasal sprays before masking up, and antihistamines as your doctor says is appropriate.
  2. Swallow only when exhaling

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2015, 02:39 PM)DariaVader Wrote: My top two tips:
  1. Make sure you keep your nasal passages clear by using saline or saline + xylitol nasal sprays before masking up, and antihistamines as your doctor says is appropriate.
  2. Swallow only when exhaling

Thanks! I'm going to check out that spray right now.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered the nasal spray off Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. I'm determined to make this treatment successful but it's sure starting to wear on me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some issues get better with time for some of us. I hope you are one of those Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2015, 02:39 PM)DariaVader Wrote: [*]Swallow only when exhaling
[/list]

That is a joke, right?Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
no, not a joke. actually when my sleep doc said it to me, my first reaction was a raised eyebrow "really?" but after doing it just once, it became default - feels very natural. exhaling... or after exhale but before inhale...

Post Reply Post Reply
7-17 still too wide, there is a room to narrow it further, based on the numbers from SleepyHead or use a single constant pressure instead
Talk to your doctor about that and have the earache checked too

I use sinus rinse squeezy bottle, helps clear the nose form congestion

Welcome to the forum and best of luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Judi,

What kind of ear pain are you experiencing? Is it your ear or jaw, is your nose stuffed up.

I remember when I first started on a CPAP machine, I ended up with TMJ from clenching my teeth to hard. I do clench my teeth so I guess trying to keep my mouth closed all night was the final straw. The dentist recommended a mouth piece. If the pain is from that cold compresses will ease some of the pain, or at least it helped me.

When I do nose rinses I make sure I do them an hour before laying down, to give any extra fluid time to drain.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach ache in the morning - could it be my CPAP settings paullepa 5 1,736 02-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Last Post: trance
  Ear Ache & Sinus Headache - Just started CPAP therapy Lou28 9 2,446 03-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  sensitive teeth tooth ache alfiepops 9 5,592 12-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Ear ache SpeedyD 5 1,774 01-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Last Post: DariaVader

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.