Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A different kind of awake
A different kind of awake
I have been on CPAP for years but only since May this year have I had a data capable auto Bilevel. I have been busy fussing, investigating, and evaluating to improve my therapy. Prior to the new machine I had been locked into a constant pressure that I though was working for me.
Until recently my awake episodes during the night were caused by OSA related events, RERAs, and nasty leak effects and also old age joint issues where my body is begging for me to change positions. I was always disturbed and uncomfortable when the awakening happened. And of course when I awoke I would then need to visit the bathroom.

Well it appears that I have tweaked myself into a new sleep profile. I rarely if ever awake from OSA related disturbances. I have had zero events for the last 4 days and also for 6 of the last 10 days. I still wake up 2 or three times to change position. I suppose I could just roll over while asleep but, no, because there are dog(s) in the waySmile

The new phenomenon is the "sleep-awake" which has happened a couple of times. Something turns my mind awake, like a silent light switch, but my body feels like it is asleep. Not paralyzed but extremely comfortable, no muscle tone, eyes too heavy to open, breathing and heart rate very gentle. The pressure from the machine is at its low; I can barely feel it. There is no sound from the machine or mask. There is no disturbance and no desire to move anything. I just wonder about it for awhile and let my brain go back to sleep.

I have no idea what awakenes me. I look at the data and see some rough breathing and a few "too short" duration As and Hs. If these were awakening me I would feel the disturbance. Maybe this is what happens to healthy breathers. I have tried to think back to my sleep before OSA but can't remember.

Do those of you who report that you sleep through the night really not wake up at all?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A different kind of awake
Sounds almost like a RERA but I think it might need brain waves to confirm this.
If it doesn't erode your daily activities it may be an ok thing.

Dont-know

Anyone else care to comment on this?

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep through the night most nights. I sometimes have sleep-wake events like you are describing but not that often. I do feel like that sometimes in the morning when I awaken. It feels so good that i just enjoy it. It seems very comfortable and peaceful.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 01:04 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: I have been on CPAP for years but only since May this year have I had a data capable auto Bilevel. I have been busy fussing, investigating, and evaluating to improve my therapy. Prior to the new machine I had been locked into a constant pressure that I though was working for me.
Until recently my awake episodes during the night were caused by OSA related events, RERAs, and nasty leak effects and also old age joint issues where my body is begging for me to change positions. I was always disturbed and uncomfortable when the awakening happened. And of course when I awoke I would then need to visit the bathroom.

Well it appears that I have tweaked myself into a new sleep profile. I rarely if ever awake from OSA related disturbances. I have had zero events for the last 4 days and also for 6 of the last 10 days. I still wake up 2 or three times to change position. I suppose I could just roll over while asleep but, no, because there are dog(s) in the waySmile

The new phenomenon is the "sleep-awake" which has happened a couple of times. Something turns my mind awake, like a silent light switch, but my body feels like it is asleep. Not paralyzed but extremely comfortable, no muscle tone, eyes too heavy to open, breathing and heart rate very gentle. The pressure from the machine is at its low; I can barely feel it. There is no sound from the machine or mask. There is no disturbance and no desire to move anything. I just wonder about it for awhile and let my brain go back to sleep.

I have no idea what awakenes me. I look at the data and see some rough breathing and a few "too short" duration As and Hs. If these were awakening me I would feel the disturbance. Maybe this is what happens to healthy breathers. I have tried to think back to my sleep before OSA but can't remember.

Do those of you who report that you sleep through the night really not wake up at all?
I have the same problems so good to see that we are experiencing the same things including my Sadie dog
Post Reply Post Reply
not me. I become awake, and go back to sleep, but aware I am awake, and not heavy-bone floppy armed when I do. I usually awaken several times a night, and about 2.5 to 3.5 hours in, I just get up, sip water, a couple of pills and sit up for 1 to 1.5 hours. Then I go to bed again, and sleep another 2.5 to 3 hours. Yep, all totaled, I sleep between 4.8 and 6.4 hours a night. I do feel wonderfully rested, but always ready to sleep again. So, I guess I am a polysomniac.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have experienced the same nice peculiar sleep/awake feelings usually an hour or two before it's time to awaken. They are few and far between. I see nothing about them to be concerned. They are sooo comfortable, even having a touch of pleasant euphoria. After a few minutes I drift off back to deeper sleep. Wonderful stuff.

(08-11-2015, 01:04 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: I have been on CPAP for years but only since May this year have I had a data capable auto Bilevel. I have been busy fussing, investigating, and evaluating to improve my therapy. Prior to the new machine I had been locked into a constant pressure that I though was working for me.

Well it appears that I have tweaked myself into a new sleep profile. I rarely if ever awake from OSA related disturbances. I have had zero events for the last 4 days and also for 6 of the last 10 days. I still wake up 2 or three times to change position. I suppose I could just roll over while asleep but, no, because there are dog(s) in the way:)

Post Reply Post Reply
90 percent of the time once asleep i sleep 8 hrs or a little more without waking.
Unless there is a noise or something that wakes me like the attack yorkie sounding the alalarm.
Hes careful about that though. False alarms irritate me and the pit bull. Lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 669 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  What kind of breathing is this? sprinter 3 412 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Luna 2 solfware. Heres where to go . (kind of like oscar watertrails 4 1,955 09-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: rubbercow
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 665 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 520 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 485 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.