Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Water Chamber Question
Question 
Humidifier Water Chamber Question
I previously had a Respironics REMstar M Series CPAP w/Humidifier (and no heated tubing) and recall that the water chamber for the humidifier would get significantly lower after using it a whole night. Now, I have a newer CPAP (I think it might be the Respironics PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine w/Humidifier or something similar - and it has a heated tubing), and it seems like even after using it a full night there is still a lot more distilled water left in the water chamber in the morning. Could this be because of the heated tubing, or something else? Or is it possible the machine might be broken?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Water Chamber Question
Many of the newer machines have a sensor that also use the ambient humidity of the room in determining how much humidity to send to you. So if the room you are sleeping in is already humid-ish, then it will use less than an older machine without this capability.

The heated tubes only purpose is to heat the tube. By heating it, it keeps the air warm and prevents rainout. It does nothing else. Plugging one in *might* trigger something else within the software of the machine, such as grant you more control over the temperature and humidity (the S9 does this) but that's not something within the tube itself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great-info

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

This is my first post, and am thankful for this forum. I feel much better having new Cpap "friends".

I too have experienced this. I used a Phillips Respironics on a trial basis for 4 months, then purchased the Resmed S9 Autopap, and have been using it for about 5 weeks. I thought there was something wrong with the machine as the water level did not go down for several days, whereas I was refilling the Phillips every 2 days or so. I have not felt any dryness however, and am comfortable so concluded that it must use less because of the heated hose.

Thank you Paula, for the explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on season, weather, and humidity setting of the machine, I might need to fill every night to every third night here.

When it was dry and my humidity was turned all the way up it was definitely needed every day.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
To hijack this thread which has an appropriate title for a follow-on question:

What is the long-term impact of using tap water instead of distilled water? I'm 10 days into this on an S9 Auto and it's not using a heck of lot of water each night in the humidifier. I dump it every day and let it dry out. I guess I'll get mineral deposits in the heated hose eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
You only get distilled water into the hose, even when you use tap water Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2014, 03:55 PM)GeoffD Wrote: To hijack this thread which has an appropriate title for a follow-on question:

What is the long-term impact of using tap water instead of distilled water? I'm 10 days into this on an S9 Auto and it's not using a heck of lot of water each night in the humidifier. I dump it every day and let it dry out. I guess I'll get mineral deposits in the heated hose eventually.

If you are using tap water, dumping it every day is a good idea. You will eventually get some mineral deposits in the tank but not in the hose. You can clean the mineral deposits from the tank occasionally using vinegar or "Lemi Shine" (purchased online or at Wal-Mart) followed by soap and water and rinsing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2014, 07:58 AM)PrincessZZZ Wrote: Hello,

This is my first post, and am thankful for this forum. I feel much better having new Cpap "friends".

I too have experienced this. I used a Phillips Respironics on a trial basis for 4 months, then purchased the Resmed S9 Autopap, and have been using it for about 5 weeks. I thought there was something wrong with the machine as the water level did not go down for several days, whereas I was refilling the Phillips every 2 days or so. I have not felt any dryness however, and am comfortable so concluded that it must use less because of the heated hose.

Thank you Paula, for the explanation.

It also depends on the season. If the PR was for 4 months when it was dry and not much rain or you had the heat on, then it will use more water. If the S9 was when it is more humid, then it will use less.

I live in the US South. In the summer, I rarely use the humidifier. If I get stuffy due to allergies, then I will either use the humidifier for a night or two or I will just put water in the tank and use it in "passive" mode (no heat). If I used the humidifier in the summer and did not empty the tank, I could probably go a full week or more. Not saying I ever have. That would mean I am far too forgetful. Bigwink In the winter, however, it is dry by morning, if it lasts that long.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2014, 03:55 PM)GeoffD Wrote: ...

The technican of my provider (DME?) told me I should use drinking water. If I want to use destilled water I would have to buy it in a pharmacy. Destilled water for technical use could be dangerous. Maybe I should rinse the reservoir with vingar-water to wash out lime after some months.

Greetings
Fat Rat

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.