Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier Water Useage
Humidifier Water Useage
Being new I have a question about my Respironics Bi-Flex heated humidifier. I live in the New Mexico desert, just north of El Paso, Texas at an altitude of 3,800 ft. My machines humidifier settings range from 0 to 5. I have the machine set on 3 and in the morning after 8 hours of sleep the humidifier chamber is always almost completely empty. The relative humidity runs between 5% and 15% except during the July monsoon season. This seems like a lot of water to evaporate during 8 hours.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier Water Useage
I don,t use your machine but in general the amount of water varies from one person to the next with temp and humidity of bedroom.
If your full face happen to loose its seal during the night and allow air to escape through the mouth (mouth leak) it would use more water
Rainout is not an issue as you didn't mention check humidifier chamber and the hose is not leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks the system is brand new and I don't find any leaks; however, I am still having problems with the Quattro FX (medium) face mask sealing around my lower mouth all night... I've awaken several times by the leaking air around my lower lip!

Using the included sizing device it seems to be the correct size for my face... The DME respiratory technician tried a larger size mask, which didn't appear to fit as well....

I'm still in the newbie adjusting phase and have only ten nights worth of experience... at this point my median AHI is 6 from my untreated 57. So I am feeling so much better.

How do I edit my profile to allow me to change from "full face mask" to Quattro FX?

312capri
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:How do I edit my profile to allow me to change from "full face mask" to Quattro FX?

You can't. But you can say it in the "Other Comments" found in the User Control Panel. User CP under 'Edit Profile'.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...trol-Panel

As to the humidifier, I don't have the model either. But some nights it doesn't seem like it used any and other nights it can nearly empty the tank.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well Paula02 already answered this while I was getting specifics! But here ya go anyway!

Towards the top of the page underneath where it says Rules and Donate and such (pay attention to that one!) is a box that starts out with Welcome back #username#. You last visited: Date, Time (User CP - Log Out) Click directly on that User CP. This is your control Panel. This will pull up a new page and you will see a Menu box to your left.
In the Menu box on the left hand side of the screen, about halfway down is an "Edit Profile". Click on this and you will see all the info that you can change.

Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 05:58 PM)312capri Wrote: I'm still in the newbie adjusting phase and have only ten nights worth of experience... at this point my median AHI is 6 from my untreated 57. So I am feeling so much better.

How do I edit my profile to allow me to change from "full face mask" to Quattro FX?

312capri
You've just said the magic words "feeling much better" Congrats
Whats the total leak [mask leak (unintentional leak) = total leak - mask vents leak (intentional leak)]
We can only put the type of mask in profile not the brand

Post Reply Post Reply
Quattro FX
http://www.resmed.com/au/products/quattr...c=patients

http://vimeo.com/18532272

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! by jeffy1958
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 05:58 PM)312capri Wrote: Thanks the system is brand new and I don't find any leaks; however, I am still having problems with the Quattro FX (medium) face mask sealing around my lower mouth all night... I've awaken several times by the leaking air around my lower lip!

So, the percent time spent in large leak is 0%?

You can turn the humidifier to a lower setting and then you won't use as much water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 7 day large leak is 8% and the 30 day is 9%; however, I've only had and used the machine 10 days....

Are those percentages high?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironcis define large leak as percentage of time the machine detected a large leak and they don't say what is considered large leak so you have to look at your SH software to find out leak numbers. Resmed does report mask leak and draw the line of acceptable leak at 24 L/min.
For the humidity setting you can try turn it down see if it use less water and have to watch out it doesn't run out of water during the night as the plate would overheat otherwise keep a small bottle of water handy by the bedside just in case need topping up.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.