Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier and centrals
Humidifier and centrals
Does the humidifier increase the number centrals I get on my AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier and centrals
I can't think of a logical reason why it would or could.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2018, 03:38 PM)jerry1967 Wrote: Does the humidifier increase the number centrals I get on my AHI?

The humidifier is a comfort item that combats the drying effect of having air continuously flowing over tissues that are susceptible to drying out. It can make a difference if you are experiencing a stuffy nose or dealing with thickened mucus. (Sorry to be gross)

As for centrals, central apneas occur because your brain doesn't send the proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing. This is beyond the influence of humidity.
As for "obstructive" apneas, they occur because your upper airway is obstructed. 
There are combinations of events and some conditions require different devices other than a CPAP or an APAP; the other devices might be bi-PAPs or ASVs.  

If you are up to a little reading ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1745547/ (Effect of high versus low ambient humidity on the severity of obstructive sleep apnoea) Spoiler alert -- "Altering ambient humidity alone has no significant impact on the severity of OSA."

Wishing you a good night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 163 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 415 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 283 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 601 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,141 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 185 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 282 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.