Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 4
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Humidifier boiling right after turning on
Hello All,

I have had my CPAP machine since 2010 and had no issues until lately. When I turn on my machine the humidifier starts to boil/ bubbles in the plastic chamber. The chamber is filled to the 75% line and only when I decrease the water to 25% or lower does it not boil/bubble. Again this happens seconds after I turn on the unit. Also the bubbles are being produced at the metal heating area.
Other than that it works fine but the boiling sound keeps me awake.
Any ideas how I could fix this?

Have a wonderful day.

P.S. I always have kept the humidifier at level 4
01-18-2013 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Humidifier boiling right after turning on
Hi cpap5127 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try turning your humidifier back a notch and see if that helps you.
Best of luck and hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
01-18-2013 12:18 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Holy crap! Is it actually hot with steam?

Get it to a DME. It is under warranty for 2yrs I think. You may be passed that. But maybe all you need is the humidifier replaced.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-18-2013 12:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Yeah, what Paula said. If it's actually an overheating issue and not something else, please note that your humidifier should never get so hot that the water nears the boiling point. That's something seriously wrong, and I would discontinue using that humidifier NOW for safety reasons. A heating element could easily start a fire if it's malfunctioning like that, or damage your CPAP machine.

Yikes. Shock

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-18-2013 01:25 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(01-18-2013 12:02 PM)cpap5127 Wrote:  The chamber is filled to the 75% line and only when I decrease the water to 25% or lower does it not boil/bubble. Again this happens seconds after I turn on the unit. Also the bubbles are being produced at the metal heating area.
I always have kept the humidifier at level 4

Hi cpap5127, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like, beneath the water chamber, the metal heating plate on the humidifier needs cleaning, or the metal bottom of your water chamber needs cleaning or has gotten a dent or dimple (even if only slightly) so it no longer sits perfectly flat. Or, if there are mineral deposits building up on the metal floor of the water chamber, these can be dissolved by putting a weak (5%) or strong (50%) vinegar solution in the chamber and leaving it to soak/dissolve the deposits.

If the metal of the water chamber does not contact the heating plate evenly the water chamber will need to be replaced, or else the heat will be too concentrated at some places, which perhaps could lead to the bubbles and noise occurring so soon, while most of the water is still cool (since this starts within "seconds" of turning on the humidifier).

So cleaning the heating plate and cleaning or replacing the water chamber may quiet the humidifier.

Of course there is a chance a temperature sensor (if there is one) has started to malfunction, but I would first suspect one or more of the other things, since it seems to work OK if you put LESS water in the chamber, making the chamber lighter, perhaps reducing pressure between the heating plate and the bottom of the water chamber, perhaps leading to slower heating of the water (so less bubbles and sound). If there were to be a dangerous malfunction, you'd likely have bubbles and steam when even LESS water is used, (as long as at least some water is used).

Good luck in your sleuthing,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 02:12 PM by vsheline.)
01-18-2013 01:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 861 Yesterday 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 433 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,907 12-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 517 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 393 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 740 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  [CPAP] Humidifier texasbluedevil69 13 496 10-28-2016 06:58 AM
Last Post: texasbluedevil69