Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier bone dry in the morning . . .
Humidifier bone dry in the morning . . .
Hi,

Spent 2nd night on new DreamStation Auto B-PAP with humidification.  Also use ResMed F20 FFM.  Seems that the water in the humidifier tank is all gone by morning.  Have my humidifier set on 3 and my BiPAP pressures are 23 inhale and 19 exhale. I am a mouth breather it seems too.

Seems that I may have read somewhere on this forum that higher pressures can make the tank go dry quicker.  My pressures are very high so could this be my problem.

Also I still have dry mouth in the morning even with FFM.  I thought that the FFM would change that.  Is there another reason why the FFM is good for mouth breathers.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.
-------------------------------------------------
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!   

Bryce the BiPAPman
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier bone dry in the morning . . .
I am a mouth breather and have a FFM I am using a resmed autoset 10 and I have an awful dry/foul mouth in the morning with an empty humidifier tank (humidification set to auto) so I assume I still mouth breath and the humidification provided by the machine is insufficient for the large flow rates related to mouth breathing. But and it’s a big but with the FFM I have no large leaks the air stays in the system so my treatment is effective.

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had to use pressures like yours on a DreamStation and to prevent the water tub from going dry I had to set the humidifier to step 1 and even than it barely made it through the night.

Using the FFM won't prevent dry mouth if your breathing through your mouth. It's main advantage is no mouth leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use near that much pressure so I can't give my results, but I will say that I've started using Biotene to help with dry mouth and it seems to really work.  You might try that and if it helps you, then maybe try adjusting the humidity level down a notch to see if it will last the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the answers to my questions. Looks like I will be stuck with dry mouth but will try some of the Biotene that Hojo recommended. Do you use the mouth rinse or the oral spray Hojo?

As for the FFM I must say I did not realize that mouth breathing would effect my BiPAP pressures and therapy. So I will stick with the FFM.

Again, thanks all for your help.
-------------------------------------------------
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!   

Bryce the BiPAPman
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is not a big help for dry-mouth, it is primarily to keep the nasal passages from drying out. Dry-mouth is going to be a problem even with the humidifier dialed up to the point that you are getting rain-out and water in the mask.

Mouth-breathing is the cause of dry-mouth (and sore throat) simply because we were not designed to do so.
An incentive to work on techniques that can help prevent mouth-breathing is, in addition to comfort, it is beneficial for dental health and reduced "morning breath"

The FFM works well for mouth breathers simply because it maintains adequate pressure therapy that mouth-leaks would inhibit when using pillows or a nasal mask.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For the Biotene I use the rinse, I started off using it many times during the first few days and then cut down to twice a day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some good advice above. Particularly by Rich.

You could try setting your humidity to one step lower and see if that gets you through the night. Also you could try a chin strap or even taping to try to keep your mouth closed. If you do try tape, make sure to get the medical paper tape for sensitive skin. I use it myself to prevent air getting past my lips even if my mouth is closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option is to get a humidifier for your room and start it say an hour before you go to bed. This helped my brother until we got the whole house humidifier going. He has no problem the rest of the year - just winter when the furnace is on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 202 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,992 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Early Morning change in AHI CasitaWayne 20 6,968 01-19-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.