Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
What are the effects of using distilled water? tap water?

My understanding is that tap water is full of chlorine, other chemicals, and bacteria....

I have recently read that the drinking distilled water on a regualr basis is dangerous and could cause adrenal fatigue because it aborbs minerals from the body (making short term use for detoxifying, but long term use dangerous)....

Anyone have knowledge or experience with use of water sources?Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier
Hi bluederby,
I use distilled water in my humidifier. You'll get a lot of opinions on the topic of which water is best to use and there are quite a few threads to look at here on the board about it.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 11:21 AM)bluederby Wrote: What are the effects of using distilled water? tap water?
My understanding is that tap water is full of chlorine, other chemicals, and bacteria....

Well, if it's full of chlorine it won't be full of bacteria, or at least live ones that can infect you. They chlorinate the water to kill the bugs, don't you know.

Any number of taste tests and chemical analysis have consistently shown that tap water in a typical town with a well run water system is better tasting than most bottled water. Bottled water, contrary to what advertising will tell you, often has bacteria in it.

Most towns don't use chlorine these days, but another less noticeable chemical or UV light, which can't effect the taste of the water.

And if your water does have chlorine in it simply let it sit uncovered for ten minutes and the chlorine will dissipate leaving the chlorine free water behind in the jug.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
If we are talking about Humidifiers, Distilled Water is best in my opinion. The quality of your drinking water is a function of where you live. I would not use drinking water for XPAP Humidifiers since the minerals have a tendency to build up. When traveling, I try to use bottle water, but it can have minerals as well. The best thing is to clean your humidifier regularly with a mild detergent and let it air dry. I think the concerns regarding drinking distilled water are a bit of Voodoo. Personally, a good water filter should make tap water safe to drink. If you are still worried, the EPA provides reports on drinking water quality in the US. http://water.epa.gov/drink/local/
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a long thread on the past on this, but when I ran the search I couldn't find it (hey, it's a Monday).

I use distilled water and most of the time I just use the humidifier as a pass over and don't turn it on. When I do turn it on, I have it on the lowest setting. I can usually get distilled water for less than a buck. When I am on the road, I use bottled water, tap in a pinch. I haven't seen any buildup on my tank, but then I don't heat it.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Most potable water systems use chloramine in place of chlorine. In my domestic water the amount of chloramine left in the water after treatment is in the low parts per billion range. I think that is fairly typical of well run water supplies.

The dangers of drinking distilled water are somewhat vague and a way worst case scenario. One would have to drink nothing but distilled water. The "danger" is that distillation removes minerals that your body needs and generally one does not get enough of them from other sources. So the scenario is if you drink nothing but distilled water and you do not get enough minerals from other sources you might suffer from the effects of depletion of certain minerals. It is not something that I worry too much about but on the other hand I do not normally drink distilled water even though my CPAP humidifier does.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 12:50 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I use distilled water and most of the time I just use the humidifier as a pass over and don't turn it on.

I use distilled water too, though in my city it probably isn't necessary. I'm on the West (wet) coast and the source of City water is lakes filled by torrential rain in the nearby low mountain ranges. Consequently it is quite "soft", with few dissolved minerals.

Cities in the interior of continents typically have "hard" water from rivers or river fed lakes, with lots of dissolved minerals. If you are in such a place you should definitely use distilled water, I think.

Paradoxically, "hard" water is actually better tasting and, studies suggest, healthier than the "soft" water found in my area.

Distilled water is cheap so I pick up a bottle every couple of weeks and use it anyway so as not to give ResMed any excuses to void my warranty.

Bottled water often has lots of minerals dissolved in it. It's healthier and tastes better, too, but it will tend to gum up your humidifier.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water in my humidifier, but I would never drink it.
Only drink bottled water or tap water. Coffee
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 02:44 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I use distilled water in my humidifier, but I would never drink it.
Only drink bottled water or tap water. Coffee
OpalRose

Distilled water doesn't taste very good - very bland because of the absence of dissolved minerals.

But I know of no reason at all why it would be dangerous or undrinkable.

If that's your particular taste I see no reason not to indulge it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
I only use distilled water in my humidifier. No water spots and no buildup. Plus it's what the manual calls for.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.