Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
RE: Humidifier
I'm using distilled, because the DME and the doctor said it works best. The water in this city smells of copper.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled because the water chamber lasts longer and requires almost no maintenance.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 02:55 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I use distilled because the water chamber lasts longer and requires almost no maintenance.

OMMOHY

That, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
Here in Sydney distilled water is expensive and is found in the laundry aisle as it's used with steam irons.

I instead use purified water. In my opinion it has as much sludge and minerals removed as distilled for far less. And I never have to clean the humidifier chamber
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 08:38 AM)lab rat Wrote: Here in Sydney distilled water is expensive and is found in the laundry aisle as it's used with steam irons.

I instead use purified water. In my opinion it has as much sludge and minerals removed as distilled for far less. And I never have to clean the humidifier chamber

Yeah, I don't understand why distilled H2O is so expensive in some locales. It's easy to make.

Here in Texas I routinely pay $0.89 per gallon.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
I'm quite new to the whole CPAP thing; however, if I may:
+ Where I live the municipal water has an extremely high dissolved iron content. So high in fact that not even normal water softeners can remove it entirely and what is removed is replaced with either sodium or potassium depending on the salt used for regeneration; thus, tap water isn't recommended by my DME and softened water isn't recommended as the sodium in it concentrates and might cause issues. Therefore, we use either distilled or in a pinch the Reverse Osmosis water from the final filter as it's very close to the distilled water in quality (good to be a Chemist, I have the cool toys to test the water Smile )

+ The other consideration, my Grand Father ran out of distilled water used soft-water water once; however, his equipment also had a pure oxygen supply and we suspect that the pure oxygen reacted with the chlorine compound(s) used by the municipal water treatment that the water softener couldn't remove; thus, resulting in a visit to the ER for chlorine exposure. The ER Doctor very strongly told my Grand Parents to use only distilled water in his equipment due to the pure oxygen! The Doc also told us that this wasn't the first time something like this had happened. :eek:

+ In response to some of the older posts in this thread:
As for drinking distilled water... I'm a Chemist, AFAIK - there's no harm in drinking distilled water for the average, healthy, adult person. Many (if not most; however, that's a guess) people are not fully hydrated to begin with so even if there was some issue with mineral depletion due to the distilled water (bahh, humbug) such would be negated by the lack of hydration in the average person. Keep in mind, our body has an active mechanism to keep the proper electrolyte levels and obtains most of the required electrolytes from solid foods, not water. To unbalance this system, in a normal healthy adult person, one would have to consume a fairly large amount of water, in fact, it wouldn't matter if the water was tap, deionized, or distilled water by the time one consumed the amount needed to cause harm (hyponatraemia). Finally something to note, the CDC lists distillation as one of the methods for purification of water for drinking (wanted to post a link to the CDC here but I am not allowed yet Sad ) and is used in many parts of the world to provide safe drinking water. Distillation of water is also the primary method in an emergency situation for safe drinking water production - fast, safe, cheap. The worse thing about drinking either distilled or Reverse Osmosis treated water... the taste. We are so used to the small amounts of minerals in the water that the taste is "flat" and that gives the impression that there is something wrong with the water.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepingDragon, welcome to the forum. Good post and information!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 12:03 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Yeah, I don't understand why distilled H2O is so expensive in some locales. It's easy to make.

I presume it's a supply and demand thing. We use it because it's available and it's available because we use it.

They seem to sell quite a bit of distilled water here in the US, so it's available and cheap. There's a big section at the local Walmart, and it is often running low, so people must be buying it.

However, I wonder why Americans buy so much distilled water. Is it CPAP'ers, or people who are afraid of their drinking water? I know at one time, steam irons users used distilled water, but who irons clothes these days? Some people use it in car batteries, but the average user doesn't use much battery water in a year.

I notice some distilled water marketed as being for babies, presumably for mixing formula. Maybe that's where it gets used.

Maybe I should lurk in the water aisle at my local Walmart and take a survey.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Easy one for me -- my tap water is well water so I'm sticking to distilled water in the humidifier. However, I do use warm tap water for cleaning my equipment which is apparently against manufacturer recommendations -- but if it's good enough to drink, I figure it's good enough for cleaning. The humidifier tank gets emptied and left out to dry daily -- and on weekends I wash it and let it sit with vinegar and tap water for a bit.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 02:33 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 12:03 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Yeah, I don't understand why distilled H2O is so expensive in some locales. It's easy to make.

I presume it's a supply and demand thing. We use it because it's available and it's available because we use it.

They seem to sell quite a bit of distilled water here in the US, so it's available and cheap. There's a big section at the local Walmart, and it is often running low, so people must be buying it.

However, I wonder why Americans buy so much distilled water. Is it CPAP'ers, or people who are afraid of their drinking water? I know at one time, steam irons users used distilled water, but who irons clothes these days? Some people use it in car batteries, but the average user doesn't use much battery water in a year.

I notice some distilled water marketed as being for babies, presumably for mixing formula. Maybe that's where it gets used.

Maybe I should lurk in the water aisle at my local Walmart and take a survey.

Someone needs to let me in on the secret location at Walmart where the Distilled water is. I was there the other day and it's not in the grocery section with the drinking water. I ended up going to the grocery store and got it for $.89/gallon...

I don't use it in the humidifier, and I'm sticking to that. This is for the radiator coolant.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 764 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.