Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
RE: Humidifier (distilled vs. tap water)
(04-13-2015, 04:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Someone needs to let me in on the secret location at Walmart where the Distilled water is. I was there the other day and it's not in the grocery section with the drinking water. I ended up going to the grocery store and got it for $.89/gallon...

I don't use it in the humidifier, and I'm sticking to that. This is for the radiator coolant.

Knock on the "associates only" door next to the loading dock. When the guy opens the little slit in the door, tell them that "Buffalo Bob" sent you.

In my stores, it's with the rest of the bottled water in milk jugs. It's got purple tops, but that may vary with location. It does tend to run out a lot around here.

I wonder if it might vary much in some parts of the country. Maybe people in some parts of the country don't buy that much distilled water.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Buffalo Bob"? I thought it was "Sponge Bob" - no wonder I can't ever get in...

And for some reason it DOES run out. In can almost guarantee that if I go to Target on Sunday, there will be three empty shelves and none available.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I get my distilled water at the grocery store for the same price that I have seen on the forum from Walmart.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
At our grocery store, we've seen it in several places. With the baby food, the regular drinking water, and with the laundry soap.

But I don't use it in my humidifier. I use tap water (I have a spring) at home and bottled water when I travel.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:However, I wonder why Americans buy so much distilled water. Is it CPAP'ers, or people who are afraid of their drinking water? I know at one time, steam irons users used distilled water, but who irons clothes these days? Some people use it in car batteries, but the average user doesn't use much battery water in a year.

In my area, we have quite a buildup of minerals in the water - ruins everything, most folks have water softeners for this reason. Many people buying distilled water use it for things like humidifiers. I buy it for my bro's cpap and my iron (I'm a quilter and when I'm doing a lot of sewing, I got through a couple of those gallon sizes a month). There are a lot of quilters here. I also bought a ton of it when I had aquariums - if you want to breed soft water fish, you have to be able to have soft water, so 1/3-1/2 of the tank had to be filled with distilled to lower the ph of the mega-hard water.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you insist on using tap water in your humidifier, you should buy some Lemi-Shine (from Wal-Mart) to remove the mineral deposit build up in the tank.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 10:52 PM)PollCat Wrote: If you insist on using tap water in your humidifier, you should buy some Lemi-Shine (from Wal-Mart) to remove the mineral deposit build up in the tank.
Isn't that designed to be used in a dish washer?
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 12:21 AM)krelvin Wrote: Isn't that designed to be used in a dish washer?

Yep. Lemi Shine just citric acid. A calcium solvent. Lemon or lime juice would do the same thing.

If you're interested, here is a link to a chemist analyzing it.
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18...emi-shine/

From that article, here are the gas chromatograph results of Lemi Shine vs Citric Acid monohydrate:
[Image: LemiShine_HNMR_DMSO2-300x231.jpg]

[Image: CitricAcidMonohydrate_HNMR_DMSO-300x231.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 08:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I get my distilled water at the grocery store for the same price that I have seen on the forum from Walmart.

The high volume discount grocery store in eastern Mass has distilled water for $0.50/gallon. Walmart is $0.88/gallon. In the winter with the heat blasting, I go through a couple gallons per month. In the humid summer, less than half that much.

I figure distilled water will prolong the life of my APAP machine. If any water does end up in the blower or on the sensors, it won't leave mineral deposits. I also don't feel compelled to empty the humidifier tank every morning with distilled water and topping the tank off at night is more convenient with the gallon jug handy instead of a trip to the bathroom sink.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 10:52 PM)PollCat Wrote: If you insist on using tap water in your humidifier, you should buy some Lemi-Shine (from Wal-Mart) to remove the mineral deposit build up in the tank.

Adding the caveat: that is, if you have water with enough minerals to be problematic. If not, save your money.

Or use a vinegar rinse with each washing.

And/or replace the tub, and re-purpose the old one (I have two I am using as scoops in my potting soil).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.