Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
I've been using my CPAP machine for nearly three weeks now. Every night I fill the humidifier with distilled water right up to the "maximum" line, but every morning, I end up throwing more than 3/4 of it down the drain. Even though it's not that expensive, I don't like wasting all this water!

Do I always have to fill it up to the line? You can see what I use for a humidifier. Can I get away with maybe filling it up 3/4 of the way?

Just curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
Nah, fill it up for as much as you use, more isn't necessary - the only thing filling it all the way up will do is lessen tank echo. I never fill it more than half, which is all I need at full on humidification for 7 hours, which I rarely ever get to. In the old tanks they had quarter half three quarter and full marks on it, I have no idea why they stopped that, as it was very convenient. Now I have to eyeball it.

If you still have a enough water in the tank by morning to cover the heating plate completely, then you are doing fine. Less than that and you will get a bit of a sore throat from the dry air. So experiment to see how much you need to get through the night and stick with that. Warning - that will vary throughout the year as humidity and temperature levels in the environment change, but it won't vary too much - no more than a few cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the Doc said. Since I use distilled water I only empty it once a week and wash the tank. During the week I just top it off. If I was using tap water, then that would be a different story.

Doc, When do you sleep?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oy. Distilled water does not automatically equal sterile.
As soon as you crack the lid on that jug, it isn't sterile.
Keeping distilled water in there a week is no better (or worse) than keeping tap water in there a week.
During the night, you are heating up the water. This invites all sort of wonderful stuff to start growing.

In other words, dump the water each night no matter where it comes from. Or keep it if you're lazy like me. (and I use tap water!)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Filling it to the line is only if you think you will lose that much. If you consistently only use X amount, then only put that much in there, maybe a little more.

There's a sensor in these machines now that detects the humidity of the room. If the room contains enough humid air, it won't use as much water from the tank. If the room is dry, it will use more water from the tank. So some nights you may empty the tank, some nights you may not seem to use any at all.

Mine varies so much, I fill mine just because running out makes this awful smell that makes me sneeze all day.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I top mine off daily, just in case Mrs. SD uses all the water for her iron I want to have enough to last until she gets a new jug. Wink Being that lazy I also dump and clean it maybe once a week but I don't worry much about that. I plan on living forever, so far it's working.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Doc on this one, I just top up the distiller water each day and have a good clean of the gear once a week.
I also invested in a SoClean machine and this runs through the water in the tank and I gather this sterilizes the water in the tank as well.
Thinking about humidification I can't figure out how nasty little bugs in the water can get into the air system. The moisture in humidification is from evaporation so would the nasties in the water tank stay in the water or can bugs be carried in the evaporated water.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2015, 09:49 AM)novatom Wrote: I've been using my CPAP machine for nearly three weeks now. Every night I fill the humidifier with distilled water right up to the "maximum" line, but every morning, I end up throwing more than 3/4 of it down the drain. Even though it's not that expensive, I don't like wasting all this water!

I haven't used the humidifier on mine yet (been using it for three nights) mostly because I haven't been to the store to get distilled water. But for three nights I've been fine - I'm wondering if I even need to use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are fine and comfortable without a humidifier, then you don't need to use it.

The humidification is for comfort and I would guess that if the ambient air is bone dry then that's when humidification comes inti it own
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2015, 10:58 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Doc, When do you sleep?

I'm a working doctor running a large division of medical graduate students in a big city hospital! Never!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.