Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
denton Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara M w/ Gel
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 set, actual 9-9.58
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
My machine doesn't have enuf capacity to last more than one night. I'm in NYC, I use tap water and rinse the tank with hot water every day, then refill with tap.
01-18-2015 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(01-18-2015 07:20 PM)denton Wrote:  My machine doesn't have enuf capacity to last more than one night. I'm in NYC, I use tap water and rinse the tank with hot water every day, then refill with tap.

Just make sure the tank dries over the day and only refill it before going to bed. Hope you have a good filter on your tap - NYC water is full of particulates and gunk.
01-19-2015 06:14 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-18-2015 06:19 PM)DocWils Wrote:  It wouldn't. Leaks are measured at the mask point, not the tank

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The leak data recorded by the machine is measured inside the blower unit. Leaks inside the humidifier will show up in your data just the same as leaks in the mask.

(01-18-2015 05:14 PM)novatom Wrote:  On Friday night I decided to fill the tank only halfway. About 5 a.m., I was awake and all of a sudden noticed a leak coming from the humidifier. The leak had a slight "whistling" sound and was big enough to register as a "large" leak on the machine (probably my first ever). I thought it might be the hose, until I removed the tank and noticed that there was not much water left, barely enough to cover the heating plate. But I still didn't understand why the lack of water would result in a leak.

I suspect that's just a fluke. Running out of water shouldn't cause a leak. However, having a leak will tend to use up the water faster.

Maybe drying out would let the tank get hotter and it might change shape or expand slightly and start leaking. Also, maybe water or humidity would make the gaskets seal better. However, neither of these sound that likely to me.

I'll agree it shouldn't leak air when it's empty.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-19-2015 06:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-18-2015 05:33 PM)sgearhart Wrote:  After getting "thumped" for not replacing the distilled water each day, I came up with a compromise. I filled the S9's reservoir with 12 ounces (350ml.) of water last night. This morning I poured out the remaining water into the measuring cup. I found that in 8 hours I consumed 4 ounces (118ml.) Based off a 1/2 ounce (15ml.) per hour usage, I filled the tank with 6 ounces (178ml.). Knowing I'll never sleep for 12 hours and to allow for changes in humidity this should minimize waste. I have this thing about wasting stuff. . .

I pour the water into the fish tank, the dog bowl, and once I baptized a dog. He was not amused.

Since I use tap water (I have a spring vs "city" water), if anything is left in the tank it has more minerals in it. My fish don't mind the extra calcium and every so slight pH increase. The dogs drink out of mud puddles and eat cat poop. Drinking the water from my humidifier is not going to hurt them.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-19-2015 08:13 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

I dump it into my plants. They have been looking very happy since I went on cpap
01-20-2015 02:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you use a humidifier? zonk 13 5,781 Yesterday 11:31 PM
Last Post: pk53
  Climate line hose vs mask - adapter to connect? Beej 4 139 12-08-2016 05:57 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 889 12-07-2016 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 479 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 534 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] ResMed climate line dracs 3 273 11-05-2016 01:33 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 399 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158