Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
RE: Humidifier, do I really need to fill it to the line?
My machine doesn't have enuf capacity to last more than one night. I'm in NYC, I use tap water and rinse the tank with hot water every day, then refill with tap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 07:20 PM)denton Wrote: My machine doesn't have enuf capacity to last more than one night. I'm in NYC, I use tap water and rinse the tank with hot water every day, then refill with tap.

Just make sure the tank dries over the day and only refill it before going to bed. Hope you have a good filter on your tap - NYC water is full of particulates and gunk.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 06:19 PM)DocWils Wrote: It wouldn't. Leaks are measured at the mask point, not the tank

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The leak data recorded by the machine is measured inside the blower unit. Leaks inside the humidifier will show up in your data just the same as leaks in the mask.

(01-18-2015, 05:14 PM)novatom Wrote: On Friday night I decided to fill the tank only halfway. About 5 a.m., I was awake and all of a sudden noticed a leak coming from the humidifier. The leak had a slight "whistling" sound and was big enough to register as a "large" leak on the machine (probably my first ever). I thought it might be the hose, until I removed the tank and noticed that there was not much water left, barely enough to cover the heating plate. But I still didn't understand why the lack of water would result in a leak.

I suspect that's just a fluke. Running out of water shouldn't cause a leak. However, having a leak will tend to use up the water faster.

Maybe drying out would let the tank get hotter and it might change shape or expand slightly and start leaking. Also, maybe water or humidity would make the gaskets seal better. However, neither of these sound that likely to me.

I'll agree it shouldn't leak air when it's empty.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 05:33 PM)sgearhart Wrote: After getting "thumped" for not replacing the distilled water each day, I came up with a compromise. I filled the S9's reservoir with 12 ounces (350ml.) of water last night. This morning I poured out the remaining water into the measuring cup. I found that in 8 hours I consumed 4 ounces (118ml.) Based off a 1/2 ounce (15ml.) per hour usage, I filled the tank with 6 ounces (178ml.). Knowing I'll never sleep for 12 hours and to allow for changes in humidity this should minimize waste. I have this thing about wasting stuff. . .

I pour the water into the fish tank, the dog bowl, and once I baptized a dog. He was not amused.

Since I use tap water (I have a spring vs "city" water), if anything is left in the tank it has more minerals in it. My fish don't mind the extra calcium and every so slight pH increase. The dogs drink out of mud puddles and eat cat poop. Drinking the water from my humidifier is not going to hurt them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I dump it into my plants. They have been looking very happy since I went on cpap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 104 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 359 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 904 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 509 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 426 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,234 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.