Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier not using much water
Question 
Humidifier not using much water
Humidity set-point at max. of "5" whatever that means. Humidifier heater plate gets hot to touch.

pulled humidifier and checked resistance and one pair = 3.2 ohms = 45 watts at 12VDC sounds about right.

amps/DC to machine tube blocked air flowing thru mask port humidifier off = 0.4
amps/DC to machine tube blocked air flowing thru mask port humidifier "5" = 4.2 for a few seconds then drops back and becomes too unstable to measure with my Fluke 336 (as heater plate heats?)

second pair 9.96k which I would think is humidifier temp sense. correct value unknown.

house quite dry during recent cold weather - 30% rh room temp 62 F.

always use dist water no scale.

so why isn't it using much water?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier not using much water
(01-14-2016, 05:06 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: humidifier "5" = 4.2 for a few seconds then drops back and becomes too unstable to measure with my Fluke 336 (as heater plate heats?)

The Fluke 336 is a clamp-on Ammeter with a Hall Effect Sensor. It can measure AC and DC Amperes. (even non-sinusoidal AC)

The humidifier element is pulse modulated, switched DC. As the element heats, the pulse becomes narrower. I think your Ammeter has difficulty with fast rise time, short pulse, switched, DC.

All your measurements sound reasonable. I favor a conclusion that the humidifier is working as it should.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it actually too dry, or just not using much water?

On the other PR machines you can switch the humidifier mode from the new "smarter" mode to the old mode, which might let you get the humidity up a little more, but it also might rainout.

Not sure if your model has it or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 06:26 PM)Terry Wrote: Is it actually too dry, or just not using much water?

On the other PR machines you can switch the humidifier mode from the new "smarter" mode to the old mode, which might let you get the humidity up a little more, but it also might rainout.

Not sure if your model has it or not.

sinuses very dry. will investigate possible other modes. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 06:11 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 05:06 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: humidifier "5" = 4.2 for a few seconds then drops back and becomes too unstable to measure with my Fluke 336 (as heater plate heats?)

The Fluke 336 is a clamp-on Ammeter with a Hall Effect Sensor. It can measure AC and DC Amperes. (even non-sinusoidal AC)

The humidifier element is pulse modulated, switched DC. As the element heats, the pulse becomes narrower. I think your Ammeter has difficulty with fast rise time, short pulse, switched, DC.

All your measurements sound reasonable. I favor a conclusion that the humidifier is working as it should.

I'm inclined to agree with your conclusion yet it has used more water in the past. Perhaps cycling the connector will prove to be helpful. In any event tomorrow will tell.
Will be digging out the Simpson 260 tomorrow. Analog still has its uses as I often tell the youngsters.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 07:14 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Will be digging out the Simpson 260 tomorrow. Analog still has its uses as I often tell the youngsters.

I let go of my Simpson 260 about 25 years ago. Now I'm looking on eBay for a decent one.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same PR 760 and go through an entire water chamber each night. I assume you have the heated hose of course. I also use a hose cover too. If you're plate is hot, it should be functional. It never gets really hot, but that little bit of heat seems to be enough to keep the water vapor flowing all night. We have similar pressure settings too.

There's a sensor in the heated hose, isn't there? It detects humidity levels, I think. Could yours be faulty and your machine adjusts it down or off at periods throughout the night? I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's just a thought. It's probably a setting thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not heated hose.
Machine too smart for my own good like DW's Chevy Volt.
Ultimately ID-10-T error was resolved by initiating RTFM process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the heated hose for your machine. Worth every penny
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a different machine. The humidity goes to 8.

On a 5 setting, summer season (don't remember the indoor humidity), it uses about half a tank.

Now I have it set to 7, indoor humidity is about 30% with a humidifier running non-stop, and I go nearly completely through a full tank in 8 hours. A little less if my leak rate was low.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 447 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.